Matsu stamp

davidequis

The Yamagami brother’s matsu stamp mystery.

I have come across several references to traditional Japanese sword smithing where materials are mentioned.

There is the obvious tamahagane, but they also mention pine charcoal as essential in nihonto production.

This pine charcoal is called matsu-zumi 

Articles state that in ww2 the army supplied tamahagane to rjt smiths while the province was required to supply matsu-zumi.

Articles also state that tamahagane was in short supply and strictly controlled. One would expect that matsu-zumi would also be scarce.

Perhaps, in the mix of materials and methods used in war production, identifying pine charcoal as a material was important.

Perhaps, like the military star-stamp, the matsu stamp is the A seal of traditional materials/methods. 

83BB134A-FD1B-4D0E-9CDD-A2C6BB12333C.jpeg

David,

It's an interesting proposal.  You'll notice all the Matsu stamps are from the beginning of the RJT program, 1942, through 1943.  So far, we have no Matsu in 1944 or 45.  But we do have katakana.  So, you're idea would work if the industry supply of matsu-zumi was out or severely limited by that time.  The katakana could indicate a different charcoal was used. 

The purists of IJA regulations regarding RJT ops, might balk at the idea.  All three blades we have with katakana are also star stamped.  However, we have already seen that mil-specs on sword fittings, even sword quality was allowed to drastically veer from the regs at the end of the war, so I wouldn't rule the idea out of a blade rating a star even if non-regulation charcoal was used in 1944/1945.

surveyNov620.jpg

• 6 months later...

While reading the book recommended by Peter - @BIGBook found HERE - I came across this discussion about a survey done in 1933 looking for available tamahagane.  In it, he discussed the various grades of tamahagane:

“High quality tamahagane is sold out, there are only stocks below the 4th quality level.” It should be noted that there are different qualities of tamahagane crude steel as a result of the steel production in the tatara furnace, which are briefly listed here: tsuru (“crane”) = Special Grade, matsu (“pine”) = First Grade, take (“bamboo”) = Second Grade, ume (“plum”) A = Third Grade, ume (“plum”) B = Fourth Grade, Off Grade, Others.

Maxein, Otto. Samurai Swords for the Material Battle . Books on Demand. Kindle Edition.

I think David might have been in the ballpark with the "pine" thought, but maybe it's a stamp showing the grade - First Grade - of steel the Yamagami Brothers were using in their blades.  This clicked for me after we've discovered the RJT star stamp was an Army stamp, not just an RJT stamp (although no one else was using it on blades except RJT), but it was a stamp verifying the fact that the steel used was Army-provided steel (which for the RJT program had to be tamahagane).  So...... could this Matsu stamp be something along that line?  Maybe their particular inspector had stamps for grades (although we don't see any blades marked with other grades) or maybe it was put there by the brothers, for marketing/bragging rights, to highlight the high grade of tamahagane used in their blades?

That's interesting Bruce.

Was the matsu stamp used by the Yamagami brothers to "advertise" their RJT swords as  being made of "matsu" grade tamahagane...could be.

I only just read this here and you've already got me wondering a few things...

We know from Kishida's Yasukuni book p.92 that the Yasukuni tatara graded its output this way (also see photo of tamahagane in boxes on p.93), but, while I presume the RJT scheme which was managed by the same management as the Yasukunito, used the same grading system,  it would be good to have some confirmation.

If the RJT scheme did grade the same,  why didn't the RJT scheme  put the stamp on other 'matsu' quality RJT swords?  ....and why only matsu quality?

Just had another idea on this point...unless the Army Officer Club sales counter staff who sold RJT swords to officers had a sign stating that these swords are "matsu quality tamahagane blades" - how would the officers know the meaning of the matsu stamp and if not...why bother putting  it on?

Another question is whether the Yamagami brothers put the stamp on?

As the  matsu stamp is only seen on Yamagami RJT blades  it "suggests" that this is so. But as the RJT scheme handled the sales/advertising...why would they bother,  or did they discuss some sales tactics with the Officer Club sales guys?

So, you definitely raise a few questions here Bruce...(my head is starting to hurt). It will be interesting to see if members come up with any answers/opinions/evidence.

I'm looking forward to them...

Regards,

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 2:39 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

While reading the book recommended by Peter - @BIGBook found HERE - I came across this discussion about a survey done in 1933 looking for available tamahagane.  In it, he discussed the various grades of tamahagane:

“High quality tamahagane is sold out, there are only stocks below the 4th quality level.” It should be noted that there are different qualities of tamahagane crude steel as a result of the steel production in the tatara furnace, which are briefly listed here: tsuru (“crane”) = Special Grade, matsu (“pine”) = First Grade, take (“bamboo”) = Second Grade, ume (“plum”) A = Third Grade, ume (“plum”) B = Fourth Grade, Off Grade, Others.

Maxein, Otto. Samurai Swords for the Material Battle . Books on Demand. Kindle Edition.

I think David might have been in the ballpark with the "pine" thought, but maybe it's a stamp showing the grade - First Grade - of steel the Yamagami Brothers were using in their blades.  This clicked for me after we've discovered the RJT star stamp was an Army stamp, not just an RJT stamp (although no one else was using it on blades except RJT), but it was a stamp verifying the fact that the steel used was Army-provided steel (which for the RJT program had to be tamahagane).  So...... could this Matsu stamp be something along that line?  Maybe their particular inspector had stamps for grades (although we don't see any blades marked with other grades) or maybe it was put there by the brothers, for marketing/bragging rights, to highlight the high grade of tamahagane used in their blades?

Hi Bruce, have only just caught up with this - amazing detective work.

if you look at the chart your created of the blade with the matsu stamp, the last 3 have a different stamp. Do those characters match other grades of tamahagani?

I am more convinced that the matsu is a grade/quality stamp not a random army stamp

15 hours ago, davidequis said:

the last 3 have a different stamp. Do those characters match other grades of tamahagani?

David,

I don't think the other kanji fit anything along the line of these grades.  The kanji for plum, the Second Grade, is: 李, at least in modern Japanese.  The First Grade, bamboo is: 竹.  Tsuru, the Special Grade is: 鶴, again modern kanji.  The ones you are seeing on my chart are katakana which are single sounds, mostly used to spell words with Western origins, as I understand it. 

But it was worth investigating!

I am with you, in that I think the Yamagami brothers were using the "matsu" to advertise the high quality of their product.  I got a reply from Chris Bowen on the question.  While he didn't have any hard evidence either way, like us, he doesn't feel it would have been an official Army stamp but more like a stamp used at the forge.  From Chris:

"- the army supplied the tamahagane to the RJT smiths as you know. My understanding is they supplied one grade, not several, at least for contracted blades. Commercial sales would surely have enabled various grades to be purchased however. The lack of any Tsuru or other stamps which would correlate with the grade of tamahagane is glaring.

- there was no requirement for army blades to specify any grade of steel. No one else was doing it- no doubt others would have followed suit if this was advantageous.
- it is more likely that this is some sort of acceptance stamp, either privately at the Yamagami forge, or used locally. It could also signify something else related to the location or other private and unique feature important to the Yamagami forge."

I agree with you...as the matsu stamp is only seen on Yamagami smith tangs I think it must be a mark restricted to them alone. Whether it is their  sign that they only used "first grade matsu iron" is unproven, but in the absence of its use by other smiths or any sign of the other iron grades being marked...I'd say Yamagami brother's mark...possibly (probably) advertising their use of matsu grade iron...so well spotted Bruce (assuming this is correct...if not correct, Bruce is being a naughty boy again!).

Hope this helps, not sure, maybe....(my head is hurting again Bruce).

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..