Pretty hamon but what style?

stevel48

Hi Steve, 

For me, not toranba, but if you Google “Tsuda Sukehiro toranba” and you’ll find some examples of his blades that illustrate that form of hamon.

With a lot of swords the hamon will consist of a variety of shapes and elements so it isn’t easy to say simply “Suguha” or “Notare”.

In this sword I’m seeing irregular large, squarish choji and large round Choji elements (with I think some nioi kuzure) and there may be other elements that sharper eyes will see, but that ought to suggest a possible school to you. 

Hope that helps a little. 

1 hour ago, vajo said:

Steve i like the hamon, but i think it is badly polished and treated with acid.

Interesting theory. I dont see a lot of the damage or discoloration you might see with acid. David Hofhine is evaluating. Here is the steel for more information.

20201105_114129.jpg

Steve the shinogi is polished round and the shinogi-ji looks like milk and not like a mirror. You see also a great dark long shadow along the shinogi which comes from an amateur polish. But this is not the theme of your thread. You ask for the hamon. I think it would look total different if the polish were good. So it is difficult to make a statement about the hamon because it is treated with acid. 

3 hours ago, vajo said:

Steve the shinogi is polished round and the shinogi-ji looks like milk and not like a mirror. You see also a great dark long shadow along the shinogi which comes from an amateur polish. But this is not the theme of your thread. You ask for the hamon. I think it would look total different if the polish were good. So it is difficult to make a statement about the hamon because it is treated with acid. 

You might be on the right track now that i study it.  It'll be off to the polisher soon to see what can be done. This is my 5th nihonto and i might have made a mistake for the first time in 10 years. Luckily it was only in the hundreds of dollars . I still feel it will turn out well after polishing.

I do have some gems though. Found in deplorable shape from WW2 and sent to Japan for restoration. Papered as Yamato no kami Sukemasa NTHK.

20201105_133748.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

I would go for a yokoyama school smith but  your pictures show no hada or the boshi so its a wild guess because of the hamon and the tight nioi guchi.

Its a tight itame and the polish is too poor to see the boshi. I'll get to the school and smith after polish. Certainly a nihonto and probably shinto. More study tonight to place the era based upon sugata, jigane and shinogi/ji.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..