Kantei of Tanto

DTM72

Hi Dan,

This is what I can see on my phone: for a Mino blade I’d expect to see some masame (straightish) grain which I can’t. Also Boshi isn’t quite jizo but more pointed which might lead away from Mino. Jigane is quite dark which might point to Mino but the look of the burl grain with chikei suggests Mihara to me. 

It’s late in the UK right now but I’ll post some pictures of my Mihara tanto in the morning for a comparison. 

Anyhow, for me a Koto blade based on jigane and tang patina. 

Ultimately the best opinions will be got from a shinsa panel so short of those take everything else (including my view) with a pinch of salt. 

• Thanks 1

Dan,

I think you are going to struggle to obtain as precise attribution as you are looking for. The shape suggests it is koto personally I would place it mid to late Muromachi but without greet conviction. 

The hamon is what I think is leading people to Mino which is certainly a possibility. 

As John suggests the hada is rather a-typical for Mino but not out of the question. However during this period and later Mino smiths travelled throughout the country teaching their techniques. As a result numerous rural schools starting making Mino lookalike blades (some extremely good ones others less so) I think this is likely to be one such blade.

Hi Ken,

I think it has just had a rough suriage without heating the blade to remove the hamon through the tang.

I'm not as convinced as I was last night of the Mihara attribution though there are some similarities between my blade in terms of the boshi with the pointed look and long turn back. I think the jigane is different in terms of colour and Dan's blade has more of a "zanguri", standing up look to it. Here are the pictures:

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

You are indeed correct.  I think my eye was grabbed by the hada which corresponded to the image in my mind of my own blade. I'll own up to having had my beer goggles on having had a pre-lockdown drink with some friends so that didn't help. 🙂

The zanguri/ hadatachi feature of the hada also points back to Mino, so there's probably enough elements pointing in that direction to make the call.

Thanks for your insight Paul and to Dan for posting the blade.

8 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

Hi Paul,

You are indeed correct.  I think my eye was grabbed by the hada which corresponded to the image in my mind of my own blade. I'll own up to having had my beer goggles on having had a pre-lockdown drink with some friends so that didn't help. 🙂

The zanguri/ hadatachi feature of the hada also points back to Mino, so there's probably enough elements pointing in that direction to make the call.

Thanks for your insight Paul and to Dan for posting the blade.

John, I see alot of similarities in the hada of both of our blades. Your hamon appears more of a soft velvet. My hamon is more of a dull mist. To me, the shape and the gentle gunome hamon point to Mino. Compared to 98% of others on here, my knowledge is lacking. I come here seeking knowledge and more expert advice. Your thoughts and inputs are greatly appreciated!

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..