KIYONOBU Jr. backscratcher

tokashikibob

Gents,  I fall into the category of picker/treasure hunter sword buyer.   I am drawn to tattered tsukamaki and rusty blades.  The hope and disappointment roller cooster is exciting and sometimes you win.    Anyway,  recently I shifted gears and bought a blade that had all the work completed.   It was a different feeling,  more of a feeling of investment or value.     There was another Kiyonobu there that was a wakizashi and I did not win the bid on that one.   Shifting through the deceased owners papers afterwards I saw that they were both labeled as a Daishou.    However,  looking at mei's the wak was made by the father and the katana the son.  

Not sure if Daishou are put together like that?

Anyway,  I still expect to hunt the backroads but buying a nice blade right off sure takes a lot of variables off the table that cause worry and loss of money.

Best regards,

Bob

DSC_2028_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2030_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2032_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2033_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2035_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2036_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2040_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2043_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2044_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2045_InPixio.jpg

DSC_2048_InPixio.jpg

• Like 2

The satisfaction of owning a sword you like and know is "good" is undeniable.

BUT for many of us poor vulgarians there is also a great deal of satisfaction to be realized in "finding" a sword, "cleaning it up", "researching" it, discussing it with a crew, investing a lot of dough in it, and waiting for the system to poop out a result. That can be the hobby.

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking for dirty old blades is still very much alive, because behind the dirt there is sometimes gold. In terms of knowledge, an old rusty blade or a blade with a perfect polish makes us progress just as much, but differently. We will be attracted by different details on one or the other, because of the good readability of one, unlike the other. 
Personally I alternate my purchases between blades in good condition and tired blades.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..