KOZUKA FROM EARLY_KOTO PERIOD ?

roger dundas

Is this the place to ask the question- Just how different, if at all, were the earliest kozuka and blades from those we see today ?

I don't know that I have seen any early examples posted.

Hoping those with any examples are o.k with the question and might oblige with some pictures ?

Roger j

Was the question not worth considering ?

I was just wondering about how much kozuka and ko-gatana had changed and evolved from earlier times .

I have never researched this particular topic and thought someone might like to tell what they know ? The knowledge of Board members is usually broad and enlightening- especially in these (for some 'fraught') times.

Thank you.

Roger j

Roger, you are going to be very disappointed. Kozuka/kogatana appeared at the very end of Nambokucho and became more common in Muromachi with the rise of daisho. You won’t find them easily. There is a Japanese book on kogatana which should fill you with happiness😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1  What Jean said.

I was just reading the JSSUS publication on ko-kinko yesterday, looking at very early kogai, and thinking on muromachi ko-kinko kozuka.

I haven't purchased much this year, but I did pick up an late muromachi ko-kinko kozuka. It is the second one I have owned, and the geometry on both of them is a bit different. Longer, thinner, slightly higher raised.

Thanks to Darcy, I got to study a full mitokoromono set years ago and first noted some of the slight differences in geometry.

@John J.      Very nice example.

@Roger D.     Late muromachi and momoyama was also the period of O-kozuka.  Fred Weissberg of Nihonto.com has an excellent high end collection of them.

I rarely see them come to market, so they must have been uncommon.

Conclude from this that sizes varied a lot more during earlier period?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..