Leather clad gunto

envocat

Can anyone comment on the mounts/leather features on this gunto? The blade is ancestral, looks to be 17th c and the metal fittings are pretty crude and likely late war, but i'm not too savvy on gunto in general so any comments from more experienced eyes would be much appreciated.

The photos don't show as much as i'd like but it's all i've been given. I've brightened the one showing the tsuka, hope it helps a little.

Thanks!

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Hello George,

That looks like a sword that a dealer in Hampshire had a while back....If my memory serves me right a piece of the leather covering the mekugi  had been cut away to allow the hilt to be removed ? The swept back hilt ( tsuka ) in early tachi style and the habaki is a good indication of a nice blade lurking beneath a sword that was prepared to be taken into a combat arena.

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, paul griff said:

a piece of the leather covering the mekugi  had been cut away to allow the hilt to be removed 

Looks like that was done on this one, then patched.

George,

I don't study the fittings/leather work as much as some other guys.  The darker brown & black was predominantly reserved for navy gunto.  But the end of the war saw many variations produced in practically every aspect of the gunto.  And to be honest, I've never seen any military document specifying/requiring certain colors for leather.  I personally have a late-war navy gunto with the lighter brown leather.  So, you may be onto the issue - late-war work.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..