Type95 Database

vajo

I collect data about Type 95 NCO swords.

It is interesting to collect the serial numbers, the stage, producer and maybe the time of purchase and the price to get an overview whats going on in these type of collection swords.

If the sheet is filled with more data i would like to bring it on here for reference. You can follow the production range from different makers during the wartime, where are all the swords now resides and maybe a price development in market. 

If you want i fill it with your data.

It is also maybe a good idea to have an record on the ownership if a sword gets stolen.

1 hour ago, vajo said:

Ah thanks Trystan i correct these

All 5 NCO sword under my name in your database are not mine. I will try to find out the numbers of my Type 95's some how. The problem is , I stored my swords at my friend's place since I'm out of the country for a while.

• Thanks 1

Chris,

Here's my list below. 

Couple of questions about your terms: "Ashiya" is that the Suya Shoten Co?  I've never seen the name Ashiya.; The "Kobe" blades - are they the "K" in sakura?  What are you going to call the "-" in sakura?  Maybe "Ichi"?

My list:

Some steel fuchi have discernible stamps of the Seki Shoten Co.  I've noted that, when able.  The others, I just put "Steel" where there was no stamping visible.

13411 - Must be a typo.  I think its the 134112 missing the "2".

2643 - Suya                          I  $1,400 2016  BP USA

10506 - Gifu Sword Coop  IV  $900    2018  BP  USA

92605 - Iijima                      II  $600    2015  BP  USA

44592 - Iijima                      II  $?         2016  BP  USA

113661 - Steel                    III  $700    2015  BP  USA

134112 - Steel                    IV  $700    2017  BP  USA

159557 - Iijima                    II   $600   2019  BP  USA

202446 - Seki Shoten Co   V   $700  2014  BP  USA

204034 - Seki Shoten Co   V                          Online

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bruce 

i will fill it!

These are the factories i know

1. Ashiya Shoten Co. Ltd. (Shinbashi, Shiba-ku, Tokio) Suya Shétten

image.png.a878b9f4e93a44e15ad197eff634c937.png

2. Iijima Swordsman Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (Kanasugi, Shimoya-ku, Tokio)

image.png.a9bbfd1bfd0aff744ee79e024ccd3e37.png

3. Kobe Shoten (Katamachi, Yotsuya-ku,Tokio)

image.png.a47aac7c8f4114aa823d88156f624024.png

4. Sekidato Co. Ltd. (Sekimachi, Präfektur Gifu)  e.g. Seki Téken Co. Ltd.

image.png.b22ab6679f2c038c2e944202086f5b91.png

5. Kobe - (Kobe Shoten with ichi) i think a second fabrication ground in Kobe.

image.png.778e8b6fd313d122f7dc830d3695e88e.png

Are these not correct?

Its filled:

image.thumb.png.3a2e56f288af397d0d64e09008c17500.png

• Like 1

Chris,

I've just never heard "Ashiya" used for the Suya Shoten Co.  Is that your translation of the Japanese name?  Maybe you are being more correct?  The english translation of Ohmura's page, as well as Nick Komiya at warrelics, The Untold Story of Suya Shoten, just calls it Suya Shoten.

I look on the ohmura site and let translate this

株式会社壽屋商店

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Japanese+translator&form=ANNTH1&refig=cf5375f4c5714566b9df0d818bb08826&sp=1&qs=AS&pq=Japanese+tran&sk=PRES1&sc=8-13&cvid=cf5375f4c5714566b9df0d818bb08826

Google Translator makes

Tsuya Shoten Co., Ltd.
(Shimbashi, Shiba-ku, Tokio)

46 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thomas, what's your take on this name?

The link you provided above in post 11 more or less summed it up.  I included that link in my post above and after the fact noticed that you had already referenced it so edited it out of my post.  Great minds think alike!  As an aside, the early swords from Suya were marked in English as "SUYA".  I find that pretty hard to argue with!

Below are three of the Type 95 companies and my translation for them.  The  神戸 in 合名会社・神戸商店 can be translated as either Kanbe or Kōbe and my current opinion is Kōbe is the better of the two.  This also happens to be the characters for the City of Kōbe and this caused much confusion amongst guntō collectors as it was thought the company was located in Kōbe City.  It has only been in the last year that the company location was determined via an advertisement which gave Tōkyō as the location.  It would probably be best to render the name as Kōbe? with a question mark immediately after.

飯島刀劍製作所 = Iijima Tōken Seisaku-jo = Iijima Sword Workshop.

関刀剣株式會社 = Seki Tōken KK = Seki Sword Co., Ltd.

株式會社・壽屋商店 = KK Suya Shōten = Suya Shop Co., Ltd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, vajo said:

Stegel has told me that he has a big database about Typ95 with pictures and details. So it makes no sense for me to start a new one. Why to reinvent the wheel 😁

When I started my stamp survey, I found out that Fuller and Cox had both very large surveys done before me. I stayed with it, and it has still proven useful to me. The graph that I made up shows a visible flow over time of the stamps that was not available in their surveys. Plus I discovered something new, due to current internet sales.

• Like 1

If Stegel wants to research and has done a huge work i will not make the same steps with less data. It would be wasted time for me Bruce.

I asked Stegel if he will make his Data useable for other collectors after his mail to me but hi didnt answer.

5 hours ago, vajo said:

I asked Stegel if he will make his Data useable for other collectors after his mail to me but hi didnt answer.

You might ask him if he would let you work with him personally, not publicly.  I have been pestering him and Steve (Shamsy) to publish a book on their experience with the Type 95, so maybe he doesn't want to go public with his data yet.  But I have personally found that having more people working on a study, brings more data and breakthroughs that weren't available to me working alone.  So, I'd approach it that way to see if the two of you, together, could enhance his knowledge-base.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..