Three Tsubas

Promo

From a seller in Germany I got these three Tsubas, he had bought them many years ago on a trip to Asia. One is remarkably smaller than the other two. The largest one shows heavy signs of usage/damage, the condition of the other two however is nice.

For being a full beginner I'd appreciate any feedback on these three, what the themes are called and if they are something special or common. THANKS!

tsuba_all.jpg

tsuba1_1.jpg

tsuba1_2.jpg

tsuba2_1.jpg

tsuba2_2.jpg

tsuba3_1.jpg

tsuba3_2.jpg

Hi Georg,
I think you have three honest tsuba (Japanese words doesn't have plural forms), possibly from middle-late Edo time. Since they all are supposed to be used on katana/wakizashi, your pics are upside down.
Little to say about the first one. The smaller one could be Shōami or Nara, the third one (with dragon and clouds) looks like Higo style.

To answer your second question, Promo: these are good and honest Tsuba, as Mauro said - but nothing special. Rather middle-class. In my eyes these are good Tsuba to start a collection. The first one is an interesting and dynamic composition, hard to say which school. The smallest one shows the work of a good craftsman, I like that one. 

On 10/28/2020 at 9:42 AM, Rodenbacher said:

To answer your second question, Promo: these are good and honest Tsuba, as Mauro said - but nothing special. Rather middle-class. In my eyes these are good Tsuba to start a collection. The first one is an interesting and dynamic composition, hard to say which school. The smallest one shows the work of a good craftsman, I like that one. 

Thank you for this evaluation! I didn't pay much for them and thought they would be good to start with. I've found time to do better pictures of all three, now with the new camera and not mobile phone. They are attached, maybe they would allow telling more.

23 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Georg.

You refer to the dragon tsuba as having signs of heavy use or damage.  What makes you think that?

All the best.

Geraint, it looks much more worn and seems to have digs and dents. Do you see this differently? Curious to learn on this!

The dimensions are:

Dragon Tsuba: 85 mm height, 79 mm width

Round one: 85 mm height, 85 mm width

small one: 67 mm height, 63 mm width

Tsuba1_01.jpg

Tsuba1_02.jpg

Tsuba2_01.jpg

Tsuba2_02.jpg

Tsuba3_01.jpg

Tsuba3_02.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..