Asking for help identifying sword

pkrpkr

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

Twenty years ago I inherited this sword from my father. He then had owned it for decades.

I have no intention to sell it but would be very interested in knowing more about this sword  (type, age, etc.) - currently I'm a total newbie in this area.

Fortunately I found the document to take care of these swords on the forum already and that's already very useful. So far I haven't dared to do anything to it to avoid messing it up.

If anyone could help with more information about this sword I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance,
Peter

DSC09108.jpeg

DSC09107.jpeg

DSC09106.jpeg

DSC09105.jpeg

DSC09104.jpeg

DSC09103.jpeg

DSC09102.jpeg

DSC08313.jpeg

This is most likely a civilian sword that was adapted to WW2 army mountings (kurikata was removed and leather saya cover added for service). More photos of the bare blade are needed to hopefully be more precise.

Remove the wooden peg and try to slide everything to get a naked blade. If there is some resistance, use a piece of wood on the guard and gently hit with a hammer on both sides to loosen it. You don’t risk much doing this. They are meant to come off like that.

• Like 1

That’s because the blade has age. I think I can see a faint ha-agari pattern. I can’t translate without having documents in front of me. I just recognize the characters "shu" and "kuni" at a glance.

Dear Peter.

The mei reads Echizen Kuni Kanenao.  Probably Echizen Seki smith from Shinto times.  Having said that I can't find a smith listed with this mei so worth checking the last kanji.

Ahh!  Maybe Echizen Kuni ju Kanetane.  Compare here. https://www.aoijapan.com/wakizashi-echizen-kuni-kanetane-first-generation/

All the best.

• Like 1

Fascinating!

My father spent quite some time back then to find out more, but without internet. I faintly remember he couldn't identify for certain who the maker was. Really appreciate the valuable feedback from everyone - thanks!

If I may ask one more thing: what is the skin on the handle - is that shark skin?

Thanks,

Peter

PS Earlier I stated there wasn't a pattern to be seen on the blade and deleted that text because later I could see it but it's pretty faint (not visible on the pictures).

DSC09126.jpeg

DSC09129.jpeg

Dear Peter.

The handle is covered in what is usually called same, a species of ray skin.  Lots of information around on this subject.  

If you haven't already discovered how to care for this sword going forward then the links at the top of the page will take you to this guide, http://www.nbthk-ab.org/swordcare.pdf

Please feel free to ask any more questions as you continue your research.

All the best.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, Geraint said:

page will take you to this guide, http://www.nbthk-ab.org/swordcare.pdf

Yes I had found that and together with the other helpful feedback now have a much better understanding.

I'll be browsing along this forum with very interesting information and try to be a good caretaker of this sword for the next generation.

Thanks everyone!

Peter

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..