First post, I need identification?

Aethel_berht

So I picked up a Katana mounted in WWII Type 94 Koshirae, I got curious on the blade itself and I need help putting a rough date on the blade. It is a mumei, so unsigned. I'm sure the blade itself dates before WWII, it has the steel grain, Hada, and a Hamon line. Is there any way to date this? The Hamon is very difficult to see, I assume it was mistreated in the past. Sorry, this is my first post so m still fairly unfamiliar with the site.

20201026_040448[1].jpg

20201026_042927[1].jpg

• Like 2

Hi A.

Definitely an older blade but to know much about how old and from which group of swordsmiths it comes you'll have to track down someone who is knowledgeable and honest to take a look in hand for you.  There is only so much that can be learned from photos.

In case you're new to Nihonto (you don't say), here is a care and handling brochure you would be smart to read at least once.

http://nbthk-ab.org/cleaning-maintenance.php

Blade looks nice.  Grey

1 hour ago, Utopianarian said:

Kazu-uchi mono from Muromachi 

Interesting!

I've always wondered how people make the difference as I’ve never seen an actual one. Can you please elaborate?

In fact, concerning sue Bizen Kazu Uchi Mono, they are forged in Bizen style, pure masame is not sue Bizen style. From time to time, they are for sale on Aoi Art website, check the description, generally the hada is a mix of mokume and itame.

Masame hada is very difficult to forge. Very good masame (no flaws) hada is very expensive and sought after. Due to the fact that all layers are folded  in the same direction they are very difficult to solder, thus some collectors consider that longitudinal opening in this case are inherent to masame and not considered as kizu.

The longer the blade the harder good masame is difficult to obtain.

• Like 2

Bizen Kaziuchimono do not need to have or even attempt to make masame. It could be larger grained itame nagare too. What of course you guys are right about is the generally low quality and openings in the jihada. The masame in shinogiji is a different indicator of the Muromachi blade and if combined with low quality nagare (some people sometimes mistake nagare for masame) or coarseness, we can probably then identify mass produced blades. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..