Death poems

kissakai

Hello Grev, 

Along similar lines of Matt H. not peoms, but in my research I have read quite a number of 'final' letters from IJN and IJA officers and NCO's convicted of war crimes at Rabaul, New Britain immeadiately after WW2.  Most written on the eve of their execution. Moving.  They provide an insight into certain aspects Japanese culture (particularly) at that time.

If you, or anyone, was interested I could dig up the link.

Rob

Years ago I bought and sold a kamikaze dirk.  Wood burned onto the saya was a poem that a Japanese friend read for me as, Shi Sho Ge Hana Buki (or at least that is how I remember it).  He said it translates to, After death, like flower petals blowing in the wind.  I don't have a picture; sorry, just my memory.

Grey

8 hours ago, Grey Doffin said:

Years ago I bought and sold a kamikaze dirk.  Wood burned onto the saya was a poem that a Japanese friend read for me as, Shi Sho Ge Hana Buki (or at least that is how I remember it).  He said it translates to, After death, like flower petals blowing in the wind.  I don't have a picture; sorry, just my memory.

Grey

There is a phrase in Chinese 落花隨風而逝-Falling flowers gone/die with the wind. Kind of similar meaning as the poem on the wood saya of your digger.

• Like 1

My Kato Jumyo special order Gendai-To, has a poem of resolve engraved on it. 

Apparently a verse from the philosopher Rai San'Yo....

Translates to (I think)....... "Even in the deepest swamp, you are obliged to your country". 

Maybe some of our Japanese speakers could confirm this translation. 

a7.jpg

a6.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IJASWORDS said:

My Kato Jumyo special order Gendai-To, has a poem of resolve engraved on it. 

Apparently a verse from the philosopher Rai San'Yo....

Translates to (I think)....... "Even in the deepest swamp, you are obliged to your country". 

Maybe some of our Japanese speakers could confirm this translation. 

Niel

That is a cool Gunto!

I think 深泥亦國恩 could be translated to Even the swamp is bestow from Motherland,meaning your country provide you everything, you should appreciate it.

The translate you post"Even in the deepest swamp, you are obliged to your country", more go with 縱陷深泥亦報國恩.

I like to hear the opinion from other members , Thomas, George, etc.

• Like 1

Nice sword, nice patriotic phrase...sorry I can't add to the translation...that is definitely Morita san/Moriyama san task.

I do have two swords with sayings on them...not death poems though, more 'optimistic' in tone...might be of interest.

1. Gendaito by unknown smith Seisui of Tokyo dated 12th Jan 1944. In Rinji mounts. LH column in sosho script says " Ippo susumrte tsuki, ippo susumite tatsu" (one step forward thrust, one step forward slash). Might be a kata from a sword fighting school.

2. Privately ordered Gendaito by RJT smith Okishiba Yoshisada of Osaka. Slogan is "Jin Chu Ho Koku" (loyalty, patriotism). A fairly common saying...I have seen it on Meiji era tangs/flags etc.

IMG_6573 seisui mei.jpg

Yoshisada slogan.jpeg

• Like 4

I suppose it was a naïve question

The samurai had been preparing for death for so many years but those involved in the 1st and 2nd wars were soldiers with the bushido spirit but not samurai

When my mentor passed away just pre Covid I added this to his service sheet

The joy of dewdrops                     Moto no mizu ni
in the grass as they                       kaeru zo ureshi
turn back to vapor                         kusa no tsuju

I was asked to read it out but emotionally I couldn't but is was well received by friends and family

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..