Help with attic find gunto signature

PeterCollector

Hello to all collectors,

I want to ask for little help with inscription on attic find sword Type 98 with leather covered scabbard. Sword was find on attic and owner put into auction, which I won :)  When sword arrived, it was in very bad condition, blade was rusty, all brass parts were green from patina and almost no details were visible. I try to take care about it, and here you can see result. But what I really can´t do is blade inscription translation. I find a seki stamp on one site of blade tang and there are one inscription on each side, I think one is name of the smit and one name of polisher? Very sad thing is that blade tang is damaged by rust, and not a whole inscription is visible :( Even seki stamp is visible only under the microscope...

Please, can somebody help me with translation?

Thank you for your time and help.

Peter

DSCN3947.JPG

DSCN3948.JPG

DSCN3979.JPG

DSCN3982.JPG

S20201024_0001.jpg

Hello Uwe,

thank you for your help, it is much appreciated! First I started to afraid, that the name of the smith can not be solved because of blade tang damage, but now I fell much better.

Uwe, please can you help me with dating sword - or how I can translate that inscription?

I collect edged weapons for about 25 years, but with this type of weapons I´m only starting, please can somebody advice me if I want to learn something more about this exact smith? 

vajo, I try to post better pics tommorow, but I don´t think it can be better :( And grind the tang rust is not a good idea I think... Here is another photo shortly after I took apart sword. 

DSC01439.JPG

DSC01445.JPG

DSC01446.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..