New acquisition follow-up, Iyo Matsuyama Ju Seiken shinsakuto daisho

Yama Arashi

As a follow-up to my mei/gimei post in regard to a blade signed Minamoto Masao.

These arrived from Japan yesterday - a shinsakuto daisho set by the swordsmith Iyo Matsuyama Ju Seiken, from 1988.
Fantastically healthy and stout blades. Even with fairly deep bo-hi, the katana is 900gr, with a 29 inch nagasa, and the waki is 620gr, with a 20.7 inch nagasa.
Beautiful shape and hamon with great nie activity.

I think the katana has perhaps been used for tameshigiri before, although if so, it has since been polished. There appeared to be a slight bend/warp down the spine, but it was pressed/bent back out easily enough, although it still needs a little more work. No wrinkles on the surface or any damage, and quite sharp.

I've also acquired some antique fuchi-kashira signed Soten, and menuki. I was intending to use them for the aforementioned "Masao" blade, but I think they will be too small.
The hamachi is 3.2cm, but the fuchi is not quite 38mm on the outside diameter/length.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

5-C94-F04-E-E62-C-4804-8901-E3-DB94-D6-C

60696-C8-D-3-BCC-4147-AD9-B-4-E52-A32-A9

• Like 2

Everything posted seems to be thought out and of good or great quality. I like the tsuba. Are these you're first swords? If so great start🙏

It is a pain though when you're set on a fuchi & kashira and they don't end up fitting the blade. I've had the same problem but opting to adjust the set was something I couldn't bear. Have you decided how to proceed?

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies and compliments.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:40 AM, Fuuten said:

Everything posted seems to be thought out and of good or great quality. I like the tsuba. Are these you're first swords? If so great start🙏

It is a pain though when you're set on a fuchi & kashira and they don't end up fitting the blade. I've had the same problem but opting to adjust the set was something I couldn't bear. Have you decided how to proceed?

Thank you, these are my first privately owned Japanese swords. I have handled and cut with quite a few fantastic blades, but never my own.

Assuming the tsuka maker thinks the aforementioned fuchi-kashira and tsuba are ok, I may go with those anyway, plus they'll go with the habaki nicely. I'm constantly vacillating, and I had intended to do some light tameshigiri with the "Masao", but at this point I don't think I will. Irrespective of whether or not it is gimei, it's a fantastically crafted blade with a great polish. (Attached further below.)

So hopefully the antiques will be large enough. They're actually quite comparable in the width measurement to some larger modern sets that I also have. (A bamboo themed set from Fred Lohman, and a yasurime style set from seido shop, although these sets are blackened and/or silver, so I would have a new habaki made to match.)

I also have a local knifemaker working up a modern steel blade from 80CrV2, so I'm still up in the air on whether or not I may use the katana from this daisho set to cut tatami. If the mono-steel sword works out, that may be solely relegated to heavy cutting with tatami and bamboo.

Here's some garbage quality VHS footage of myself demonstrating tameshigiri with a Yasuhiro Kobayashi blade in the late 90's.
https://streamable.com/u0x2fr
https://streamable.com/va5fc4

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having near zero knowledge of the actual movements or rigid guidelines I think for 39 years ago that seems impressive.

No offense intended 🙏

Do you have your own mountain retreat and long flowing white beard now? Seeing those videos and calculating the age you must be one cool grandpa now👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 1:29 PM, Fuuten said:

Having near zero knowledge of the actual movements or rigid guidelines I think for 39 years ago that seems impressive.

No offense intended 🙏

Do you have your own mountain retreat and long flowing white beard now? Seeing those videos and calculating the age you must be one cool grandpa now👍

Never any offense. 😉

Fortunately, I started fairly young and spent time as a deshi - I was only 19 at the time of those videos.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..