Hamon that terminated at the ha Machi and Utsuri

Brian please can you permit this question.

Hi I wonder if anyone knows if there were kantei points on hamon that terminated in a downward sweep about 1mm after the ha?

I've just bought a blade that exhibits this and wonder if it's not such a common trait?

All my other swords tend to go into the nakago even when ubu.

For the record this blade is ubu nakago with no movement of the ha or mune.

It's untouched.

Second question on utsuri.

If this is clearly evident and easy to see are we talking about very early koto blades or Shinto?

Thank you Adam.

IMG_20201023_142258456~2.jpg

IMG_20201023_142249058~2.jpg

Depends whether you are looking at an ubu blade or one that is suriage. I don't think this is uncommon in ubu blades or those that may be slightly machi-okuri. The other possibility is that it originally exhibited yakiotoshi and the hamachi has been moved up slightly making it appear as in your illustration.

If shortening and original yakiotoshi  is is a possibility then according to Nagayama it could be indicative of an older blade, or one from Kyushu or it could be evidence of saiha. 

Hope this may help point you at where to look

• Like 3

here is some good read about the beginning of the hamon and utsuri.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/yakiotoshi.html

a shinsakuto i have from the smith there shows the hamon beginning well past the hamachi in that yakiotoshi manner.  the utsuri starts at the same point as well.  very interesting to see a clean beginning of the hamon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:50 AM, chi fan wong said:

here is some good read about the beginning of the hamon and utsuri.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/yakiotoshi.html

a shinsakuto i have from the smith there shows the hamon beginning well past the hamachi in that yakiotoshi manner.  the utsuri starts at the same point as well.  very interesting to see a clean beginning of the hamon.

Hello! Chifan,

I have been hoping to find a chance to get to know you. We are both Kojima-san's friends/customers. Here are the photos of my sword made by Kojima-san that also has Yaki-Otoshi. It seems like it is not uncommon for Kojima-san to make swords with Yaki-Otoshi since one of your swords made by him also has Yaki-Otoshi. By the way, Chifan, this sword of mine in the photo is the sword that has the Shingane that one of your students held in a group photo that you and your students got at Kojima-san's forge during the summer of 2019. 😆 http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/US1.html

Best Regards,

AL

焼き落とし.jpg

20111201.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..