Heianjo for beaucoup bucks

Surfson

Robert

That is a glorious Heianjo. Thanks for posting.

Here's one of my favorites (nice dark patina - washed out by flash);

it's not the "classic" Heianjo, but I like it because it tells a story/poem.

All inlay intact (I think).

Rich

HEIANJO3.JPG

• Like 1

"Perfect" ones (almost no (or no) inlay loss, all the major inlays intact, no appreciable corrosion damage, etc), tend to go for a lot (unless the seller really doesn't know what they have/mis-describe/photograph a piece 🙂 ).  This is kind of a "Yahoo Japan special" - its a nice piece with reasonable work, the large inlays are mostly there,  somebody sprang for expensive papers, whizzy box, etc, but it has er, issues that make it less desirable to the Japanese collector*.  A surprising amount of the fine inlays are missing, and there's a hole at the top that seems to be either a piece of missing inlay and/or corrosion damage (note that the seller doesn't show it very well - an oblique image from the top like he shot of the sides would show it so you could see what was going on, so perhaps he thought this was a less attractive feature as well, but I digress). 

IMHO these detriments put it in kind of a grey zone - while its clearly much better than the usual online offerings, (rusty, missing large amounts of inlay, mediocre work, shined up, etc),  when you start getting up into this price range it kind of makes sense to just spend a little more (what, 2K-3K) and get a real prize (no corrosion, little or no missing inlay, damage, etc). On the other hand, its "worth" this because somebody bot it at this price, so YMMV.

* I've posted before about discussions with Haynes about Dr. Toyigoye's thoughts on these pieces - in a nutshell, the Japanese like to see them with at most 10% or so of their inlays missing, no missing (or damaged) large inlays, and little or no corrosion damage (for whatever reason these pieces seem to be really susceptible to this).  It doesn't mean they're "bad" if they don't have this, but....

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 4

When I finally unpack from our move (everything in boxes since the pandemic has kept us from serious furniture shopping), I will take some photos of some of mine from Murtha.  Most of them are Momoyama or earlier, 8cm+ and in good condition.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..