Heian period swords

Nah, I’ve got a shed full of them. Had to move them out of the house to make room for all the Honjo Masamunes. 😄

Seriously though, Darcy is probably the person to ask as he has a breakdown of Juyo swords by age. In fact it might be on his blog at Yuhindo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Adam Again said:

Is there a headcount anywhere in the world that knows how many Juyo and above Heian period swords there are in existence?

I've got one I bought around 16 years ago from Darcy and I wonder if they are rare.

You bought a Juyo Heian 16 years ago? What you fear?

Oh - sorry i didn't see it 😂

• Like 2

Darcy has this posted at Yuhindo blog (and has the info on Jūyō+ items you seek) some time ago, gives you clue about how rare really old swords are even at top level. https://blog.yuhindo.com/visualization/

In my own research I have so far encountered around 420 swords from Heian period (although some might be difficult to pinpoint if they are late Heian/early Kamakura, and I might be wrong in some of them). However mine is still a work in progress and still missing lot of the Jūyō but in turn have lot of swords outside NBTHK evaluations.

Also would be helpful to know who/what is the maker or attribution on your sword. Then giving some more detailed info about that specific school etc. would be possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adam Again said:

Is there a headcount anywhere in the world that knows how many Juyo and above Heian period swords there are in existence?

I've got one I bought around 16 years ago from Darcy and I wonder if they are rare.

Hi Adam/WP

So you mean to say that you bought the ex Mori-daimyo Yamashiro Gojo tachi that Darcy sold in 2004? Very impressive and great choice... I hope that is true and if so one day you will share images etc 

• Like 3

Well, if it is that Yamashiro Gojo Heian tachi we are talking about, these below are some very basic photos which at the time were available plus the oshigata from the Juyo Zufu. Darcy’s and Ted’s photography has obviously moved a long way since then :)

Overall, there seem to be fewer than 30 Gojo papered by NBTHK / govt. across Juyo to national treasure blades, so they are truly rare (Darcy writes not more than 25 Goto but I am sandbagging here for some unknown blades).  I personally prefer the signed one that Darcy recently had ( https://yuhindo.com/ko-yamashiro-gojo-tachi/)   as that came as a full package with excellent koshirae, had healthier boshi than the one 16 years ago and was signed Kane~. However, any Gojo is an absolute treasure and if one day I save the money for an Yamashiro blade, it will be most likely Gojo or Awataguchi I shall aim for. 

Again, Darcy will have the precise numbers but I think I remember him writing somewhere that there were fewer than 500 Heian blades or some number like that. I do not think I would be too far off. Blades do come up here and there and get unearthed but not often Heian! 

4F5FB700-1E94-4B07-8C3B-10E5E0E6D24B.jpeg

9AA2B17E-548B-4095-BD61-27F999AB06D5.jpeg

CADE1171-73CD-4109-9F18-C3D4FEF1F487.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 16k said:

Adam again.. protecting your anonymity...:rofl:

Adam? Is that you? ...again?

If you open the profile and click on “display name history”, you’ll see that the original name of this member was “Choji”. I suspect it was not his choice to have the name changed into “Adam again” (just like “Hirohito” became “Fake Babu”).

• Like 1

If I find a fake account, I change the name myself and ban it.
Good logical thinking there Pietro.

Adam claims to be setting up new accounts to prove "he can change"
Adam...now is not the time. Now is time to sit back and chill and get OFF the radar. Starting fake accounts will make me take very bad actions against you. Just CHILL and go quiet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..