Kabuto Information Sought

hddennis

First, let me commend the people on here who have recently helped me out with so much information about items in my collection allowing  me to enjoy and appreciate them so much more. I can't tell you how many times I've posted to other sites and gotten misleading information or no response at all. 

I've had this kabuto for a number of years and never knew much about it. It was purchased online from a Japanese seller  and unfortunately when it arrived it appears to have been repainted in the recent past. I had hoped modern chemicals could remove that and reveal the original  finish but apparently urushi was used  as nothing touches this new finish so I guess I have to live with it as is.  

Can anyone tell me anything about what this style is called and approximate age?

It has 56 Plates a number I have been unable to find other examples of.

Do the 4 small lacing spots with tiny metal spikes above them signify anything?

What does the mons represent?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Howard Dennis

100_0364 - Copy.JPG

100_0362 - Copy.JPG

100_0365 - Copy.JPG

100_0366 - Copy.JPG

Kabuto 2 - Copy.jpg

Between us I am sure we can answer most all of your questions above, Howard, but have you considered becoming a member of a Japanese armour society?

You've removed the Ukebari, so did you find any evidence of a Mei in there?

Quite apart from the lacquering, it looks like a good-shaped decent Suji-Kabuto, maybe late Muromachi or early Edo. Personally I  like the large Tehen hole and surround. The four spikes are called the Shiten-no-byo, and the little holes underneath are Shiten-no-ana. The Mon on the Fukigaeshi are Katabami flowers.

Anyway I am on a learning path here too, so I will allow others to comment in more detail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Howard,

as Piers said, it seems to be a well made suji bachi. I don’t dare to assign it to a school for the moment. Can you make some close ups from inside? Front, side and back views, as also a total from the top would be helpful....

Sorry about the “lacquer 😏 

The mon is called “Maru ni Katabami” (Oxalis in a ring) and could be attached to the “Tōdō” family (藤堂家), amongst others....

• Thanks 1

Bugyotsuji and Uwe, Thanks for your responses. The pictures I posted were taken when I first received this and the liner has since been glued back in. I found several more and hope they help  but if not I will have to try to remove the liner again.  I didn't post these because I was told the "signature" appeared to be a modern addition added to fool someone into thinking it was worth more.

Howard Dennis

Kabuto 1.jpg

Kabuto 3.jpg

Kabuto 5.jpg

Kabuto 7.jpg

For what it’s worth (thanks for posting) the Mei reads *明珍宗久. It’s difficult to insert a Mei after construction as you cannot swing a hammer and chisel inside a hachi bowl. A dremel of some kind might work(?) I’d be interested to hear why it was considered fake.

*Myochin Munehisa

• Thanks 1

Bugyotsuji, 

I'm trying to find where I got that information and will post it if I can find it again but the thought was the same as yours seemed to be inscribed rather than chiseled and Dremel was suggested.

Meanwhile any thoughts on the menpo as to age, Etc.?

Howard Dennis

Kabuto 6.jpg

Yes,

the mei doesn’t look good, though several “Munehisa” are listed in the Meikan....

Your menpo is an Edo period piece. I would say early/mid Edo. Tricky to date, because this type was made over a long time and in quantities by the Haruta school in the Nara region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luc T,

thank you so much for replying. Could you please elaborate on your opinion on my kabuto?  I would love your thoughts as to age and what terms should I research to find out more about maker.  Sorry I didn't reply right away.

Can anyone tell me why I'm not getting notifications on responses like I used to?

Howard Dennis

Howard, the upper row of rivets is alternating.  This was something done by Yoshimichi and his followers.

this kabuto looks early, 16th century.   But there exist 19th century copies of this style.  Anyway, I think yours is early.

• Thanks 1

Luc T,

You  have made me glad I resisted thoughts of selling this over the years that I have enjoyed displaying it in my home. Now I can enjoy it even more and further research it. Any idea why I have never been able to find another example with 56 plates? 

Howard Dennis

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Luc T said:

I would not be surprised if someone made the mei more readable at a certain point.   This could well be a real Myōchin Munehisa, the son of sansaku Yoshimichi.

This could explain why the plates don't show signs of taka-niku, Luc - as one would expect with a Yoshi-ryu kabuto.

• Thanks 1

Taka-niku refers to the curvature of the vertical plates (hagi-ita) a helmet is composed of.
This construction goes back to Yoshimichi and was adopted by Saotome smiths. Also seen sometimes on helmets of the Haruta school and later then also by some Myôchin smiths (very simplified explanation!).

Example:

107780879_takaniku.jpg.032f697d6f3407e302c9f7dbed8d43b3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, uwe said:

Hi Howard,

from side to side, to form an "arch". I'll post a pic this evening to illustrate, if nobody chimes in.

Appreciate that Uwe,

While I have your ear could you recommend a book that  I might purchase that would discuss these terms as well as more information  on the different schools?

Howard Dennis

Hi Howard,

here an outline sketch of the two mentioned constructions:

IMG_1227.JPG.e645ccf84240c22803ba09754c95c033.JPG

It comes from our symposium in Florence back in 2014.
In the course of this specific lecture it was worked out, that the popular opinion regarding some design features must be corrected. But that's going too far now ...

Concerning books, it depends on how deep you want to dive into the subject?! I can try to compile a brief list....

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..