What school is this tsuba?

Surfson

A new acquisition, though it won't be in my hands for a month or two until after sea mail shipping.  It has NBTHK papers.  Any thoughts as to the school and why?   I have always liked this school, and wanted an example.  I have to say that this piece is in some ways atypical.  

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.06.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.06.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.08.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.08.24 AM.png

• Like 4

Dear Robert.

Well, I'll bite.  Hirado Kunishige school.  As you say some typical features and some not so typical.  The piercing is unusual, as is the sense of squareness of the mimi.  Also the carving in the panels on the mimi.

Looking forward to what you are going to tell us on this one.

Reasons for:  Moko gata in shinchu, Namban type seppa dai, both hitsu shaped for kogai, raised mimi with carved cartouche, carving lower than the mimi with textured border, peony decoration, style of carving...........

Edited by Geraint
Edited to add reasons for.
  • Like 4

Well done, gentlemen!  It is indeed papered to Hirado.  

I found it to be very appealing and the only thing missing was their frequent use of Roman numerals or letters.  

I agree with you about Geraint's assessment Peter.  

I am adding a link to a short discussion about these interesting tsuba by Haynes and McElhinny.  

http://www.shibuiswords.com/EDLkunishige.html

Apparently, a great deal of trade with the west came through Hizen, one of the southern and western most ports in Japan.  Even at times when trade was theoretically banned.  Consequently, there was a very strong influence of the west, both through items of trade as well as the incorporation of western designs in the art.  The term "southern barbarian" was used to refer to the Portuguese that traded with Japan then, and probably reflecting this connection, namban tsuba were heavily made and traded there.  

Hirado island was a prominent location in Hizen for trade and production.  Supposedly there were many that were made to be used as presentations/gifts.  

This particular tsuba was clearly mounted however, at least based on the nakago ana treatment.  It must have had a strong presence, as it is just under 8 cm, the mimi is 7.6 mm and it weighs a hefty 180 grams.  I am looking forward to its eventual arrival.  

If any of you have some Hirado tsuba to share, by all means, please do in this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

By the way Geraint, you mentioned that you think the flowers are peonies.  I am wondering whether they might be lilies.  I'm certainly not a flower expert, but wonder how to tell in this case.

I also suspect that the carving on the mimi is dragons on waves.  What think you?

Whilst here talking of Hirado I must mention a book that I've commented on before;

SAMURAI WILLIAM - The  Adventurer Who Unlocked Japan

Giles Milton

Hodder & Stoughton (London, 2002)

It is a VERY interesting read.

BaZZa.

Thanks Grev.  Wow, Bruno, that is so similar!  Do you think that yours was lacquered at some point in its life?  It also looks like it was mounted, like mine.  Since the design is so similar, do you think that the plates are stamped, pressed or cast?  Or is it just a similar carving?  

Robert,

I don't think my tsuba has been lacquered but it has been patinated the way to have a kind of "white & black contrast". Has far as the technic is concerned and as you can see, my tsuba mimi is plain when yours is finely engraved. Therefore I do not think that any hirado tsuba is exactly similar despite a similar design.

tsuba456-1.jpeg

tsuba456-2.jpeg

tsuba456-3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive the thread, but I just missed out on this beauty with a bid far out of the money.  It ties in to the theme of the thread.  This one is more of a classical/traditional Hirado design I think.   It went for ¥211,000 and has TH papers.  

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.19.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.19.08 AM.png

• Sad 1

Signed one with the wave form, roman alphabet characters, and papers:  2k isn't a bad price.

If one of the rare round ones with the larger more dramatic waves, then more. I've only seen 3 in many years. Two brass, or "sentoku" if you prefer, example and one shakudo example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..