o-wakizashi identification

French nihonto

Hello nihonto lovers, I am French and I have been following your conversations for several years and now I am getting started. I have always had doubts about identifying with this blade, it has always given me a problem identifying suriage. What do you think? The blade is far from perfect, with a very old polish. But despite the suriage she kept a good balance, which is not always the case, she has a fairly large grain, not unpleasant. So in your opinion?

thanks

Cutting edge : 57,6cm

Nakago tang length : 11,4cm

Whole blade length : 69cm

Moto-haba : 26mm

Saki-haba : 15mm

Moto-gasane : 5mm

Saki-gasane : 3mm

Sori curve : 14mm

Kissaki point : 21 mm

C12B04DF-BA1B-4095-B7C8-E1F6F96E9208.jpeg

8244EAC9-3BEC-4B62-9CC7-2CCA20B512D5.png

02378652-E686-43D5-95A4-AF7512F28470.png

FBE45693-5225-4914-9B2E-3DAA5BFBA9B1.jpeg

31A49D40-E1A9-4ED8-A3DD-8933EE7120AC.jpeg

3DDD1586-7AA8-4548-B96B-3255E648C3FA.jpeg

AE12D7DB-FAF2-43BF-9865-77179AC62CF4.jpeg

Dear Maxime,

I am not sure thee is too much that can be said about your sword from the images and in the current polish. However I think it is an interesting piece and has potential.

The shape suggests (at least to me ) that it may be an early work. the original sugata would look to have been koshi-zori and the kissaki looks quite small. The other dimensions also suggest an early work. My first guess step would be to look at Enju or other Rai related schools and see if you can pick out details within hamon and hada that conform to those groups.

2 hours ago, paulb said:

Dear Maxime,

I am not sure thee is too much that can be said about your sword from the images and in the current polish. However I think it is an interesting piece and has potential.

The shape suggests (at least to me ) that it may be an early work. the original sugata would look to have been koshi-zori and the kissaki looks quite small. The other dimensions also suggest an early work. My first guess step would be to look at Enju or other Rai related schools and see if you can pick out details within hamon and hada that conform to those groups.

thanks paul.
yes sorry for not having said too much, I did not want to influence anything.
I share your opinion on koshi-zori. i found a enju school blade dated kamakura. the hamon is very similar, the color of steel and also similar, for the hada I'm not sure.
Maybe a lead.
the blade in question:

6DB0EBE0-B3AE-4F6C-855D-3329A9F3B330.jpeg

08F41F5A-3E42-4EF0-BCE7-1838F1EB2168.jpeg

D8D2FC4D-B78F-4DC5-92DC-1B46DB7F4E54.jpeg

12 minutes ago, paulb said:

I would like it to be late Kamakura and from your new images would still aim at Enju circa 1330. But it would need a lot more study to tie it down

thanks Paul for your time.
for the period I thought of mid Muromachi, if it is kamakura, a polishing could be considered and it might be worth it.

6 hours ago, French nihonto said:

the blade in question:

6DB0EBE0-B3AE-4F6C-855D-3329A9F3B330.jpeg

I might be wrong, but I think there is some confusion here. This picture is indeed can be/maybe likely be early Enju but is it the same sword as in the first post?

If not, I would say there is quite a few possibilities for what the blade in the first post can be. Can be Enju, but can be Bungo - they made blades with suguha, utsuri and somewhat tight itame. Without detailed shots of areas where work is visible, hard to tell.

Kirill R.

30 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

I might be wrong, but I think there is some confusion here. This picture is indeed can be/maybe likely be early Enju but is it the same sword as in the first post?

If not, I would say there is quite a few possibilities for what the blade in the first post can be. Can be Enju, but can be Bungo - they made blades with suguha, utsuri and somewhat tight itame. Without detailed shots of areas where work is visible, hard to tell.

Kirill R.

yes indeed the last three photos are another similar blade, from the school enju. And yes it is sure, the school enju is only one track among others.

As English is not my mother tongue if I do not understand do not hesitate to tell me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..