Is this "decorated" nakago a known thing by this maker?

waljamada

This is a classic gunto that highlights how much we really don't know.  According to Nick's document, this gunto was likely carried by a Gunzuko officer equivalent.  But the tag says SSgt!  I could imagine a G.I. grabbing a sword without a tassel, and finding one (even though it's the wrong rank) adding it to the sword.  But the idea that he would have found a cloth tag and added it to a sword seems extremely unlikely to me.  Even the Gunzuko, though, were supposed to carry a sword commensurate with their equivalent rank.  So if the guy were an NCO equivalent he should have been carrying a Type 95.

I've started adding these oddballs to my files.  The norm is the officer sword with an NCO leather tassel.  But this one is even stranger. I feel like Stephen, that guys may have been NCOs given promotion orders, but had not gone through the process of upgrading all his equipment.  But that's just supposition for now..

Bruce, Interesting, so perhaps tells a story of either the Japanese soldier climbing the ranks or the us soldier piecing it together to take it home.  

Stephen, didn't purchase it, just came across it and hadn't seen a nakago like that one.  Found it interesting and knew I'd be able to learn about it here.  The price is higher than I'd want to pay even though i think its really neat and I think its a showato blade.  I have to constantly hold myself back from spending anything while new house hunting and refinancing a rental property.  But once that's all done I shall reward with a sword!

• Like 1

Stephen, sorry just saw your listing request.  The link to the ebay listing is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353241689804

He sent me some additional photos of the Masayuki of some rust spots, one looks like spider rust but it is a cool blade.  Still can't tell if its gendaito but if its from 1943 (thanks Peter Bleed) and its not stamped then...maybe?  

SmartSelect_20201018-205516_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20201018-205522_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20201018-205528_eBay.jpg

Interesting Takahisa.  Only the 2nd I've gotten pics of since I've started filing them, and both are Autumn '43, though different painted numbers, so clearly different blades.  The current leanings on the "W" is that it is an inverted "M", or double chevron, indicating a half-way inspection.  May not have any meaning as to whether it was gendaito or showato, don't know.  Takahisa was one of a known 8 smiths (plus Mantetsu, so 9) known to come with the occasional W.

13 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

This is a classic gunto that highlights how much we really don't know.  According to Nick's document, this gunto was likely carried by a Gunzuko officer equivalent.  But the tag says SSgt!  I could imagine a G.I. grabbing a sword without a tassel, and finding one (even though it's the wrong rank) adding it to the sword.  But the idea that he would have found a cloth tag and added it to a sword seems extremely unlikely to me.  Even the Gunzuko, though, were supposed to carry a sword commensurate with their equivalent rank.  So if the guy were an NCO equivalent he should have been carrying a Type 95.

I've started adding these oddballs to my files.  The norm is the officer sword with an NCO leather tassel.  But this one is even stranger. I feel like Stephen, that guys may have been NCOs given promotion orders, but had not gone through the process of upgrading all his equipment.  But that's just supposition for now..

Gunzoku were given army ranks but were counted as one step up from that  rank when it came to swords. This according to Nick because of their better educational qualifications, so this looks legit, and confirmation of that very thing..

The detail is in here, and it is worth reading the whole thing.https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/what-were-regulations-army-civilian-employees-carry-swords-701783/

3 hours ago, Dave R said:

one step up from that  rank when it came to swords. This according to Nick because of their better educational qualifications

Shoot, I remember that conversation now!  Thanks Dave!  He was addressing my concern, earlier in the conversation, that Gunzuko NCOs carrying an officer sword would be an insult to IJA officers. 

So, having forgotten that, I have been telling guys that the all-brown tassel was likely carried by Gunzuko, in general, but it was more specific - the NCO Gunzuko were to use the all-brown tassel.  Officer Gunzuko were permitted to use the colored ones equivalent to their ranks.

I recently bought a tassel that is in frayed condition, it has the blue side/brown side strap but the tassels are all brown no blue. The  two knot sliders are somewhat tapered, unlike I've seen on reproduction tassels. Any one seen this combination before?

Another update on the Gunzuko tasseled sword with name tag:

小谷軍曹
Ōtani So-chō
From Guy at Warrelics.
But Nick Komiya is adamant that it is wrong either way - A Gunsuko NCO equivalent wouldn't use IJA rank in his name; nor would an IJA MSgt carry a sword with a Gunzuko tassel.  They think, due to the mixed writing on the tag, that it's a fake tag, added to increase value.  I wrote to the seller and got a full photo of the tag.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Bruce,

Cool learning all this so thank you for sharing.  I think the seller originally thought the sword was from a "master surgeon".   I just looked up the sword to see if it has sold (still available) and noticed he's added a bunch of updated photos and you can tell what questions people were asking him.  I had originally asked if he saw any other stamps and he said no but I see he looked a bit further and found a seki stamp on the nakago.  I had a baseless assumption that a special nakago design would infer a likely gendaito...wrong...some seki smiths just had flair.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..