"Bokuto" JapaneseDoctors Sword

Tonkotsu

Here is a Japanese ‘Bokuto’ which are imitation swords made of wood. They were worn in Japan by doctors and merchants during the 1700s and 1800s. The swords are imitation because, at this time, only Samurai warriors could carry real swords. A bokuto was often worn at night. It gave the impression of a real sword to warn off potential attackers. This sword is made of wood and is 13 ¾” (34.3cm) long.

Side-A.jpg

Side-B.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not an expert but just to add I read about 'replacement' pieces made of wood such as shown above for use during the tea ceremony where being armed was not permitted. I've seen a few come around and they were shaped imitating tanto koshirae.

• Like 1

Those for the tea ceremony, Axel, where a real blade would not be permitted, were called 茶刀 Chatō I believe.

As to bean pods, Barry, I have a giant bean pod here from a Nata-mamé plant, nata being a type of cleaver. Definite similarity as you say, and likely deliberate. Dry, so slightly shrunken.

9BC77251-5DDC-43E2-994A-BE140AAF30A6.jpeg

Here is a picture of a few of mine. I find them very interesting, some very detailed, not usually inexpensive, and at least for me hard to find for sale. Hope you enjoy them and feel free to comment. If anyone would like a better picture of any individual piece please let me know. Thank you for looking.

MikeR

8B7BF57B-90F3-4503-B71B-E9B93DFF9D37.jpeg

D431BC76-EE37-47F2-8477-BC06128FEF6F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..