Found a tanto locally

Another piece popped up locally on FB, and i grabbed it.
I know these pressed brass mounts are associated with late Meiji period export pieces and sometimes souvenirs etc, but couldn't resist this one.
Has some nice brass decoration. Unusual, I usually see the same old aoi mon. Quite intricate too, even though just brass plate punched from the back I assume.
Have not removed the blade and seen the nakago as there is no way I can see easily. Likely glued in there and the blade is possibly with no hamon or oil quenched. We don't see Japanese stuff here, so I was prepared to pay the 1200 that was asked. Will make a nice addition to my other Meiji pieces.
Definitely Japanese I assume...nothing Chinese here I hope.

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

Hi Brian, nice pickup!  Nothing Chinese here - definitely Japanese motifs and construction.  Kiku (Chrysanthemums), Shishi and Tatsu (Dragon) with three toes (remember the discussion a while back about Chinese fakes often mistakenly make their dragons with 4 or 5 toes and this is a good, possible indicator of a fake - yours has the appropriate number - 3 toes).  As you mentioned, many think that these were mostly tourist fare, but I have a different theory.  As you probably know, this is a Kaiken, and Samurai Wives were expected to carry a Kaiken on their person.  The Kaiken was often given to them as part of her trousseau or dowery; therefore, there would have been hundreds of thousands of these in all quality levels (depending upon the finances of the Samurai family).  What do you think happened to all those Kaiken?  I suspect that they were rounded up and sold to tourists around the same time that the swords were taken away from the Samurai.  Of course, many may have still been made for the tourists, but surely many must have been true original Kaiken that were carried by Samurai Wives.

• Thanks 1

George,
Thank you for that answer, and it certainly does make sense.
Now I have a bit of a confession. I played a slight prank on the members. I wanted to see how people would respond. I figure many thought "tourist item, doesn't he know the difference by now?" and keep quiet.
Or maybe they just thought I am delusional and need to study more. :glee:
Love to hear from people what they thought.

Truth is I did find this on local eBay, and did a deal on it with the seller. Yes..it cost me 1200...but Rands, not $'s. So about $75. Which I am very happy for .
And the reality is that this is SMALL. larger than a kogatana, smaller than a kaiken.
It is do darn cute that I love it. Nagasa is 13.5cm. But feel heavy due to the mounts.
I'm betting it doesn't have a hamon....but will uchiko a bit and see what it shows. Anyways, nothing fantastic and I think what George said is very possible indeed. I bought it because it was cheap, cute and displays well. And the work is very nice too.
So here she is...little cutie at not much money.

IMG_2427.JPG

Ken,
I expect it was glued in with pitch or something. But a little encouraging allowed the blade to come out of the wood inner.
As expected, it is not traditionally shaped, but does show age. No mekugi-ana. Bearing in mind the nakago is similar size to a kozuka one..I think it still points to the above theories.
Pictured with the tiny habaki next to a regular habaki for a small tanto.
So meiji period export tourist piece, or post wartime shrine trinket or tourist purchase? I guess with the patina etc..I'm leaning towards at least 100 years old.

DED7BBE5-5DEE-48B5-A21F-EFDBE5213F49.jpeg

Looks nice Brian, i like the fittings and different coloring of the metals (looks like firegilded). All is sharp and clear worked. For my understanding from the lenght of the blade (hamon is a little visible) i would say a Meji bureau self defense letter opener 😀

Not really a tourist piece. I think it was used by a Japanese official or merchant. The price you get it was very cheap like your gendaito. 

I bet these things was owned by a rich south african farmer before the second world war.

What comes next. You will find the Masamune? 😉

Brian,

It's not clear to me, but is the body and handle of the sword/tanto/kaiken made of a cast metal gilded, rather than pressed brass??  This would show in the weight.  I have a similar piece I'll dig out - its in one of my sheds!

BaZZa.

Bazaa, you may well be right. The material is thick, and the wooden core can be taken out and it is still heavy. I think it can’t be thin pressed brass. Yes, cast is likely as it retains the weight. There is signs of lead soldering. Curious little beast 😊

I vote Meiji tourist piece. For the price, that’s a great buy. I bet it’s not tempered, but an awesome Meiji display piece, more original than the 'Aoi' stamped brass koshirae usually seen. Congrats Brian!

Hey Brian,

You said that you could take out the wood core.  If so, you should be able to see the inside of the metal (with a Bore Light?).  That should let you know whether it is Uchidashi, thin pressed brass or cast.  I would bet on Uchidashi....  If it is thin pressed brass then the interior contours should almost exactly match the exterior ones.  If it is cast, then that should be obvious and the inside contours (if any) would just very slightly follow the outside contours.  If Uchidashi, the interior contours will be just like a menuki (following the outside contours generally, but leaving the detailed carving or shaping to the outside.  Let us know what you see.  BTW - Kaiken only need to be large enough to cut or pierce the Jugular Vein and some are carried in tiny pockets in the Kimono Sleeve (so are very small...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..