Shin Gunto

deeceeg

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Hard to tell much with these pics.  Looks like it might have a worn NCO leather tassel (end cap stitching gone and knot unraveled).  Could be an old sword re-ritted for the war.  Interesting engraving on the metal parts.  Hope it turns out legit.

Will let you know ..should arrive in a few days .Don

18 minutes ago, Shamsy said:

It certainly has genuine patina, but the materials of the koshirae and style are very unusual. It looks more like an 'island sword' to me. The nakago will be most telling.

Hi Steve ...this was brought back in 1946 from Japan in our post war J Forces occupation .

8 hours ago, deeceeg said:

take apart a full Military Army shin Gunto

Don,

It's normally pretty easy as there is usually only 1 bamboo peg to remove.  Once out, the handle (tsuka) and handguard (tsuba) and spacers (seppa) simply slide right off.  I"m posting a pic of how to push that peg out.

But yours appears to have 2 pegs (ok, not complicated) but that strange metal collar at the base of the tsuka is a big unknown.  You'll have to see when you get it, if there is a pin through it too.  If not, the tsuka might come right off after removing the apparent pegs.

After another look, I'm agreeing with Steve, for now, that this may be an island-made sword.  Official Japanese gunto only have one mekugi (peg) (NCO and Rinji gunto have 2).

InkedIslandSword_LI.jpg.507623f0206e3a951d724390a6d1ae39.jpg

peg2.jpeg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..