Tanto Shinkei Tanemitsu

bigjohnshea

This is an exquisite mumei tanto by the Shin Shinto smith Shinkei Tanemitsu. This is an exceptionally beautiful tanto by a student of Taikei Naotane, with equally beautiful mountings made in the late Edo period. Comes with two papers, NTHK-NPO papers giving it to Tanemitsu, as well as dreaded green papers attributing it to the same. Chances are they are both perfectly valid attributions, but you decide... The koshirae has no signatures though is pristine and very possibly the original mounts for this blade, which was also made in the late Edo period. Tanemitsu is also documented as one of the retained smiths for the Tsuchiura clan, though there is no known link necessarily between this blade and the Tsuchiura clan. Just an interesting fact. 

Midare Gunome with Muneyaki and Tobiyaki

Hira-zukuri

Nagasa 9.75"

SOLD

Open to offers.

Photos by the merchant I acquired it from. Used with their permission. 

AE3A6F83-25FB-4D97-A1D3-68D8AAF85756.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Michaelr said:

John what a beautiful blade. I tried to PM you but it said that you can’t receive messages

MikeR

Apparently my inbox was full. Didn't even know that could happen. LOL  Deleted some messages. 

Feel free to email me at bigjohnshea@yahoo.com if you like. 

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..