Osaka-Kyoto area Rinji Seishiki mounts

Hi all,

I have a late WWII RJT blade in one of those high-quality Rinji mounts which are relatively unknown. Mine is plain scabbard, not fancy lacquered but plainer, probably had a leather combat cover/hanger which is now lost. This type seems to be as much as the properly lacquered scabbard with metal hanger/kojiri type is seen (which is not that often).

Mine is by Takashima Kunihide of Fushimi in Kyoto.and is dated  8/1944. Of the few of this type I have seen, all are on blades from the Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe area, so was wondering if this was the "area type'...if so, these are better quality than other private order Rinji IMHO.

Just thought I'd ask any member who has one what the details are of

smith

date

Hope I haven't asked this before...

Regards,

kunihidetsuka[3244].jpg

IMG_6631 kunihide.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Guys...

Thanks Chris....hope you find one for me.

Bruce...Both...hilt fittings and binding is unique and saya are high quality even though some (like mine) are plain with combat covers. So...I am talking about these  high-quality mountings as a whole which are different to the factory-made Seki metal scabbard types (which hold showato/1 button and RJT gendaito/2 buttons) and the all-lacquered (red/brown and dark brown) high quality 2 button types (probably private shops) usually seen which hold private order gendaito and RJT gendaito from makers from many areas of Japan.

This type I show here (2 buttons) is different from both the other Seki type and private lacquered type seen. These have a cloth/canvas-like 'same' on the hilt, good quality binding and fittings and seem to be found (a) with lacquered wooden scabbards with black metal fittings, and (b) in the 'plain' painted (sort of thin lacquer) with no scabbard fittings other than the saya-guchi as shown here. Obviously they were intended to have a combat cover with hanger fitted also but with mine the scabbard cover / hanger is missing.

They seem to be seen about equally in each type - and mounts quality is high and blades always seem to be RJT (but I haven't seen many of them).

I was just asking for smith/location/date so I can get an idea of the area these fittings makers serviced in WWII. From the few I have seen, the dates seem all to be 1944 and the smiths come from the Osaka/Hyogo/Kyoto area...mine being from Fushimi in Kyoto. I tend to think that the this mountings company was only in Osaka area but serviced surrounding areas. Just thought a list of smiths/dates with (hopefully) their prefecture location  on swords in these fitting would "paint a picture" of the area these fittings covered and the type/quality of the blades.

All I have seen have this type/colour of hilt binding - they seem to be a third "type" of Rinji Seishiki mount which Ohmura does not? show - wonder if any hilts are lacquered and maybe some members have pics of the lacquered/metal fittings scabbards... (heres' a pic of another like mine (seems to have a scabbard cover and hanger), but some had the lacquered/iron fittings scabbards).

Lots of fun...

Type 3 with scabbard.jpg

• Like 2

George

On 10/15/2020 at 11:31 PM, george trotter said:

There is a  canvas-covered wood saya for sale on eBay, it might not be exactly what you looking for, but you can check it out.I'm not sure if It's ok to add link here.

You can search WWII Japanese SAMURAI SWORD SCABBARD ONLY #C31
Trystan

image.png.02dd79ddb74eb33d2b7bf9ba1165bc00.png

image.png.4c702d581ffd0bd6ad4c05abd95198b2.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..