Help with large fish menuki

Tonkotsu

Here is a pair of large 5.4 cm shakudo and gold fish menuki. These are very nice menuki except these have the reverse covered with a gold plate. Should The plate be removed or would it be best to leave them alone. I am afraid to heat them because it might destroy the patena and gold.

Thanks,

Dick

top-of-menuki.jpg

on-tsuba.jpg

gold-side.jpg

Hi Dick,

For 2 reasons: 1 that they are a bit too large and 2 because they are pretty much identical, I don't think these are menuki.  No idea what they are meant to be originally but exactly what they are at present may be the answer (they were made this way).  I would leave them be; there is nothing to be gained and much could be lost if you tried to remove the backing.

But I could be wrong.  Grey

Hi Dick I am inclined to agree with Grey. Are they weighty? Bit unclear but are they pins or loops underneath? If they had flat bottoms they could be calligraphy paperweights  文鎮 (bunchin - pronounced "boon-chin").  These are often beautifully crafted with whimsical decorations for holding the parchment steady while the calligrapher wields the brush. The pins/loops may have been added to repurpose them - big fancy buttons?

See topic - 

image.thumb.png.01f735a2042854b25288ff4649988353.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..