Museum help

kissakai

Hi 

I assume this is the first question of many!

I will be allowing quite a few of my tsuba to be included in to a local museums Samurai exhibit

I will be adding more items and will be doing the technical help etc

What do you think the theme is of these items?

Ignore the poor quality kozuka image (it is a good as the tsuba) as I have to do another image

I will be half a dozen 'monkey' tsuba

30451990_T255(1).JPG.a97dfae3697a84137140f706b64bf6e5.JPG  1182251314_Monkeykozuka.jpg.0ee4f29035812efd9b8e4980c2576d74.jpg

Thanks Chris

I always thought these to be monkey masks so may have been used in various forms of drama

I looked at some videos of monkey shows and found it disturbed me but maybe I'm too sensitive!

I have no idea why this theme was put on a tsuba and kozuka and perhaps never will

Hi Grev I found this reference on Noh masks. The local macque monkey as you probably know are called 'Saru'

"A collective name for Noh and kyōgen used until the start of the Meiji era. Sarugaku derives from sangaku, which came to Japan from the Tang Dynasty during the Nara era and was combined with ancient Japanese comedies. Sarugaku flourished during the Heian and Kamakura eras, and was at the time strongly comedic and broad based, including skits, acrobatics and magic. In the middle of the Kamakura era Sarugaku split into Noh, with a more serious dramatic nature, and kyōgen, with more comedic dialogue, and the two began to be collectively known as Sarugaku. After that, until the end of the Meiji era both Noh and kyōgen actors were called Sarugaku, but during the Meiji era when Noh began to receive the support of the nobility, the term saru (or “monkey”) fell out of favor, and the two began to be called nohgaku."

It may be a tongue in cheek poke at taking life too serious, or may show what the owner prefered as far as entertainment - just a theory.

• Like 1

If Covid allows it will be Feb/March 2021 at Riversley Park Museum in Nuneaton

Nearer the date I'll add some images but it will be quite small

I've already said this will be a basic taster and if successful would lead to a bigger/better exhibition in the future

I'm unsure if it is a mask or show

• 7 months later...

If Covid allows it will be Feb/March 2021 at Riversley Park Museum in Nuneaton. England

Nearer the date I'll add some images but it will be quite small

I've already said this will be a basic taster and if successful would lead to a bigger/better exhibition in the future

New

I've been told that this Tsuba plus exhibition will start 2nd April and end the 22nd May 2022

This should be an ideal date for me and I'll add a few more details later

The exhibition is located close to the center of England

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..