Katsujinken

Shinsakuto in koshirae

I am looking for a shinsakuto in koshirae suitable for batto.

I am especially interested in blades made by either Ikeda Norihisa (池田法久) or Fujiwara Motohisa (藤原元久). 

Nagasa needs to be 2.3 or 2.35 shaku (69-72 cm, give or take). 

Please get in touch if you’ve got something I should see. 

Thanks! 

• Downvote 1

Don’t get me wrong Michael,

And I know they use Shinsakuto for that in Japan, but those are the future of sword collecting and I’m among those who think it’s a shame to risk damaging a work of art. Why don’t you settle on a Chinese repro for that? They cut well, look decent, inexpensive and expendable.

Cheers,

JP

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

That’s a longer conversation, but suffice it to say that many swords are made to be used and the line between training tool and art is clear if you know where to look. 

Chinese and other production swords are simply not the same for a variety of reasons – especially in terms of feel – and it really does impact the training. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Michael this place is about preservation of Nihonto not the destruction of it.

I don't believe there is much of a difference in feel apart from knowing your cutting with Nihonto. 

There are excellent cutters made in China that do the job just fine but we are probably wasting our time trying to change your mind as it sounds like you've done it already.

You say you can find swords made for training if you know where to look. Well if you know where to look why ask here where you know its about Nihonto preservation.

Ultimately your going to do what you want but I hope you change your mind.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Greg F said:

Michael this place is about preservation of Nihonto not the destruction of it.

I don't believe there is much of a difference in feel apart from knowing your cutting with Nihonto. 

There are excellent cutters made in China that do the job just fine but we are probably wasting our time trying to change your mind as it sounds like you've done it already.

You say you can find swords made for training if you know where to look. Well if you know where to look why ask here where you know its about Nihonto preservation.

Ultimately your going to do what you want but I hope you change your mind.  

Greg, there’s a huge difference between historical / art sword nihonto and everyday shinsakuto made for actual use. What do you think everyone in Japan uses? There are gradations of quality in materials, workmanship, and finishing, all of which create a spectrum from tool to heirloom. 

I agree nihonto should be preserved, but there’s also nuance in there that should be acknowledged. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 3

I know that but if newbies think its ok to use shinsakuto because guys on Nmb do it a whole range problems are likely to happen.

I get it , I got a low quality shinsakuto years ago because it was very cheap and used it for iaito for a little while but now I think even that sword deserves preservation, just my opinion. 

My Sensei is Japanese and thinks repro swords are suitable for cutting and iaito for iaido.

I also understand that sword smiths make part of their living making swords for this reason but I'm not sure Nmb is the best place for this, again just my opinion. 

F

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1