Tosogu Classroom: Update

Markus

Hi all,

It has been a while since the last update on the project, and I sincerely apologize for that, and for the long waiting time as well.

Now as per today, translation work is mostly done, that's the good news. I still need to have Grey and Barry proofread the text of course, and for that, I need to find a good time slot, here on my end, as I have to be responsive with corrections, suggestions, and follow-up questions. Grey and Barry work tirelessly, thorough, and quick, so it is totally on me. Other issue: Volume 3 and 4 are the last b/w volumes, that is, I need to have the full layout in front of me for both of them before I can even ship Volume 3. Reason for that is to distribute the content evenly and not ship Volume 3 with 550 pages and then have to cramp everything into an 800 page Volume 4 if you know what I mean. So I might just ship these two volumes together and the color volume shortly after.

And this brings us to another, a big issue, and that is print quality. The quality of Lulu and their print partners has even further declined in the last couple of years, especially in Europe (its even slightly worse than with those granular pics from the earlier thread). It is still overall the easiest package in terms of international orders, etc., but at some point, I just have to pull the plug. Means, I am looking for a different venture for a while now and might redo the entire series and re-ship Volume 1 and 2 to those who had ordered them, at my own expense. In any case, the eBooks are perfectly fine and might work as a supplement for some, but if you have paid for the physical books you are getting physical books! Not worming my way out here and just gonna bite the bullet as it is yours truly after all who is responsible for layout and print, etc.

• Thanks 1

Dear Markus

I have the books affected by the printing issue you mentioned. To avoid you excessive problem and expenses for me it would be perfectly fine to have the replacement in pdf format.

Best Regards

Luca

P.S. I want also to express my gratitude to you and the proof readers Barry and Grey for the great work you are doing.

Markus,
Just a mention. This forum software has very good store/commercial features where electronic downloads can be purchased and downloaded with proper control.
If you wish to make use of it to sell/distribute any of your items including existing books, I am willing to assist in any way possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zanilu said:

Dear Markus

I have the books affected by the printing issue you mentioned. To avoid you excessive problem and expenses for me it would be perfectly fine to have the replacement in pdf format.

Best Regards

Luca

P.S. I want also to express my gratitude to you and the proof readers Barry and Grey for the great work you are doing.

Completely Agree. Having them in PDF or some sort of digital format would work fine and I would gladly pay for the ebooks.

Btw Vol 3 is kinko correct? Vol 1 and 2 are only about iron?

Markus, I have the printed copies of book 1 and 2 and quite like what I have read so far.  If you find a different vendor to make better quality printing, I would happily pay the difference rather than have it come out of your pocket.  Cheers, Bob

Markus,

I (genuinely) am not concerned with the delay. I love the books and would like to see them in my library as a complete set, in whatever form that takes.. I must say that I am not a fan of having a PDF copy though. I fully understand and appreciate your efforts, in order to assist non Japanese readers in this field. Please do not stop. 

I too would be willing to pay any 'bridging' cost for better quality printing, if that was where you thought this project needs to go, to see it to completion. Although I paid up front already, it was pittance for what we received (in all fairness), so I feel this additional cost to help, would be worthwhile. I hope others feel the same way as well.

Barrie.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..