Japanese Legend Information Sought

hddennis

Several years ago I acquired this netsuke that depicts an Oni with a maiden carrying a wisteria branch and have wondered what the artist was trying to portray and what was the story of this legend?  I 've just seen a metal plate online with the same theme so it must have a story I can learn. Any help or thoughts or links greatly appreciated.

Howard Dennis

100_2240.JPG

100_2244.JPG

Oni 2.jpg

• Like 1

P.S. I guess this is the kabuki play JP refers to, but still no Oni...

http://www.zen-garden.org/html/page_window_FujiMusume.htm

Maybe the solution is that both “Wisteria Maiden” and “Repentant Oni” were well-known subjects of Otsu-e (see link) and the joke consists precisely in showing them together?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is some more info:

"The last two images repurpose the Ōtsue oni-priest for humorous purposes. In the first image, he’s carrying a maiden across a river on his back; the maiden is holding a sprig of wisteria. In fact, the wisteria maiden was another popular Ōtsue theme, so this is a humorous pairing of two Ōtsue in “real life.” The image of a man carrying a woman across a river on his back was a common one in depictions of the Tōkaidō, because most of its river crossings had no bridges; wealthy travelers could be carried across on a platform, while less wealthy ones rode on a porter’s shoulders or simply waded (like the down-on-his-luck Daikoku in the background). The oni-priest is rendered in humorously naturalistic detail, with his gong and mallet tucked into his robes and a decidedly nonplussed expression on his face."

Here is the link to the site:

https://glam.uoregon.edu/yokaisenjafuda/page/oni#?c=&m=&s=&cv=&xywh=0%2C-7007%2C32017%2C17870

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..