Kambun Shinto why the distain?

Adam,

The simple answer is its wrong! The term Kanbun shinto initially refers to a period and more specifically a shape that became popular during that period. There were some of the best shinto smiths working in that period and making that sugata. Smiths such as Inoue Shinkai and other Osaka smiths as well as many equally good artisans in Edo and the provinces. As always these generalisations appear and can greatly mislead. Its true there were a lot of very ordinary blades made in this period (as in any other) but there were also very good works as well. As often said you need to judge each sword on its' own merits

• Like 6

I believe the disdain is the same as Koto vs Shinto or vs Gendaito

It's in my humble opinion opinions that are based more on tradition than fact. Yes, the swords from early Koto are magnificent, but why wouldn’t they be? After all, if they have crossed time so we’ll, it’s probable because they were extraordinary and cared for. Yet, because of age, you find less Kamakura swords than Kanbun swords. To me, it means the masterpieces have survived and the bulk of average swords has disappeared. There were probably as many bad swords in a time period as in any other. There are great swords and swordsmiths in every period. It’s just the quantity of swords left that changes.

Oh, and I forgot to add: Edo being my favorite historical period, I necessarily have a soft spot for Kanbun Shinto that somehow epitomizes this period... and chanbara! :)

• Like 6

I think it refers to the many shinto katana which made with suguha-ba hamon and straight masame hada. They are often unsigned and you can not find out which smith has made it. These are the john doe swords of that time. Many of these are find in shin gunto mounts. I think this is meant when its talking about the low value of shinto swords.

But you find many very good swords in that time. As i start collecting a have bought with happiness these swords. But after a while they get boring. Nothing to see special and with no signs to a school or smith you can study nothing on it.

This is such an example what i gave further..,

sword_shape.thumb.jpg.7dcb440da15feb1525b599d81f96ec49.jpg

• Like 2

I love shinto and shinshinto swords because it is possible to get completely unaltered swords that are just as when they were made, other than some sabi on the nakago.  

I think that Kanbun and Keicho are less appreciated by some because the curve of a Japanese sword is one of the most appealing aspects, and, as said by others, swords made during these periods are often quite straight.  

What is more vehemently disliked by collectors is when shinto or shinshinto swords are altered, including suriage, osuriage, machiokuri, atobori and even a second nakago ana.  This comes from the general view in collecting, of nearly all things, including guitars, cars, etc., that originality is a highly valued trait.  

• Like 2

I guess so yet I bought a Gibson Les Paul recording ten years ago that had evolved through time .

The low impedance pickups were replaced with 1954/55 p90's 

Other than that it was original.

The pickups were worth a bit on their own.

But thank you I understand better now.

I've a kambun Shinto wakizashi coming in with huge kissaki I just wondered if due to its unusual kissaki it might be better than the usual.

• Like 1

Kambun shinto is roughly 20% of swords available today. And almost nothing of value is mumei, so if its unsigned Kambun shinto, the chances of it being something good are close to zero. O-suriage Shinkai or Sukehiro are practically unknown.

Compared to shinshinto, where you can own Kiyomaro, Naotane and Masahide as mumei, since these blades were quite often cut down, to fit the military mounts or for other reasons.

In addition, for some reason in Japan there is great respect alotted to Earliest Edo/Keicho period swords, which I don't understand, except for the fact they are just exceptionally rare as swordmaking was for some reason quite depressed then. Umetada, Horikawa, Hankei, Nanki.

From Kambun similar respect is extended only to Kotetsu and maybe Sukehiro. For some reason in truly outstanding collections you keep seeing Kotetsu and Kiyomaro.

Kirill R.

• Like 3

Babu, if you collect classic cars and have one with non original parts, it is called a "driver", meaning not to worry about normal wear or tear since it is no longer original.  

If you collect classic watches and have one that has had a new dial or movement, it is called a "daily wearer" since you can wear it and not worry about getting a ding on it.  

If you own a classic Les Paul from the 70s that has new pickups or tuners, it is called a "player" for the same reason.  

Fortunately, we collectors don't fight with our swords or use them otherwise.  If we did, we might call a non original classic a "swinger"!   It is my impression that for the most part, iai is not done with vintage swords.  

I want to be clear that I didn't weigh in on the debate about collectibility and enjoyability of cut down shinto or shinshinto.  I generally don't buy them now, but I have several that I love so much that I will not part with them.  Plus, for early collectors, I think that one can buy the most sword for the money if focusing on osuriage or mumei made after nambokucho.  Thanks for the interesting thread.

12 minutes ago, Surfson said:

PS, PAFs and P90s are different, the former being the earliest humbuckers (not produced until around 1957) and the latter single wound.  I hope you put PAF humbuckers on it!  (though if they are from 1954, they are probably P90s....).

Apologies it's meant to be 1954 soap bar P90 both were in cream,single coil , Anyway I sold it shortly after buying it years ago so barely remember any longer.

You are right about that!  This is way off the NMB typical topic, but similar to the search for the Honjo Masamune.  Jimi burnt a guitar on stage at the Astoria in New York.  A fake emerged years later.  It turns out that the real one was given to Frank Zapa and then to his son Dweezil (who names their kid Dweezil?).  Anyway, here is a link just for fun.

http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/Astoria-Strat.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..