New sword opinions please

New find  down on condition . I feel it is very old may be Mid Kamakura Nagasa 64cm , Koshi-zori  ,Motohaba 30mm  ,22mm at yokote. Has Choji Midare hamon along blade into the Kissaki . Is O-suriage and has bright Utsuri long blade . Also has lots of Hataraki in hamon and jihada .Sword seems blueish in some light .Thanks

Tachi 10.jpg

Tachi 11.jpg

Tachi 12.jpg

Tachi 13.jpg

Tachi 14.jpg

Tachi 15.jpg

When the sword is viewed vertical it is more  Koshi-zori with a slight Torii sori . Remember it is O-suriage and  also has Choji midare in the Boshi which is not common in Shinto swords you can see it but rare. It also has strong Utsuri along the blade not seen that much in Shinto and the steel colour is more Koto than Shinto . The sword is not a Shinto blade the widith of the sword being near constant along the sword to the Kissaki points towards the Mid kamakura or a bit later and the shape of the Kissaki being close to Ikubi. It would be better in hand, other collectors all point to Koto not ShintoThanks

Hi Geoff,

I am afraid everyone here is trying to assess the blade from images whereas you have it in hand so it is not surprising they cant see what you can.

I don't know how old your sword is. Based on what I can see and first impressions I do not believe it is a Kamakura period blade. If i had to guess I would place it as late Nambokucho or Momoyama. But that is based more on gut feel than anything else.  In the images there is no evidence of strong utsuri but as said you are looking at the blade in hand. In its current condition I think seeing any utsuri is a major challenge and you need to treat what you are seeing with care. Likewise assessing the colour of steel is incredibly difficult when a sword is in good polish and in reality meaningless in its current condition.

It may well be you have an early sword but the only way to really make a more accurate assessment is to have the blade polished and then see what you have. In the meantime you (and we) are scratching in the dark and guessing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..