A little flare

I think it’s already been discussed in a previous thread, Neil.

Pretty sure I’ve read something about it before here. I remember the reply was disappointing. I’m sure a search with keywords like Kissaki, Yokote or boshi might turn it up. Then, you’ll have a lot of threads to search through! :)

1 hour ago, sabiji said:

Why only at Gendai? In all designs where the shinogi is higher than the mune, this effect is seen where the ko-shinogi meets the mune.

Hi Thomas,

I'm struggling to visualise what you mean - surely the shinogi can never be higher than the mune?

It's something I'd noted on later swords, maybe shin shinto onwards but is perhaps lost with repeated polishing in older blades? Obviously it's more apparent in some sugata: u-no-kubi and kanmuri otoshi for example but I too would be interested to hear if there was a specific name for it.

• Like 1

The blade has the greatest strength in shinogi. The principle continues at the kissaki in the ko-shinogi. Therefore the mune at this point expands to the strength of the Ko-Shinogi.
Therefore, the indications of the Kasane can be misleading in some schools and styles.
My Nidai Shigekuni in Yamato-Den style has 5 mm Moto-Kasane on the Mune and 7 mm on the Shinogi and shows exactly this effect on the Kissaki.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 6:23 AM, 16k said:

I think it’s already been discussed in a previous thread, Neil.

Pretty sure I’ve read something about it before here. I remember the reply was disappointing. I’m sure a search with keywords like Kissaki, Yokote or boshi might turn it up. Then, you’ll have a lot of threads to search through! :)

Probably one of my posts where I asked the same question. I understand that this feature appeared after the Mongol invasion in reaction to combat damage. I have seen the term "Bulls Head" used to describe it. It's quite pronounced in my Kanayoshi Shin Gunto. 

P10-09-16_12.04.jpg

P10-09-16_12.06.jpg

best pic.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, sabiji said:

The blade has the greatest strength in shinogi. The principle continues at the kissaki in the ko-shinogi. Therefore the mune at this point expands to the strength of the Ko-Shinogi.
Therefore, the indications of the Kasane can be misleading in some schools and styles.
My Nidai Shigekuni in Yamato-Den style has 5 mm Moto-Kasane on the Mune and 7 mm on the Shinogi and shows exactly this effect on the Kissaki.

This is the correct answer and "high shinogi" is the correct term.

and this for better understanding http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/shaping.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vajo said:

weight influence the work with a sword.

Chris,

My only experience is in holding my Takayama-to.  Although shorter than my standard gunto, it is heavier, and the fatter tip adds noticeable weight to the end.  So, it's end-heavy and not comfortably balanced in-hand, like most gunto.  The added weight at the end is designed to carry more momentum in the swing, bringing more impact force in the blow.  Takayama's idea was to "kill with one strike."  But the imbalance would quickly tire one's hand/wrist/forearm in a fight of longer length.

My understanding is that it is thicker at the kissaki to allow for the sword to more easily penetrate when thrusting. It decreases the chance of the kissaki breaking if the thrust is done improperly. In my old ryu, we used to practice thrusting with our katanas. 

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..