Peony and lion dog

Stephen

No problem, there is a story that I heard, but I've never been able to find any scholarly references to back this up (so it may be total BS...)  The Shishi is all powerful except that one small insect that lives in its fur can burrow in and eventually kill it.  Supposedly the nectar of the Peony carried by the dew kills the bug.  There is a Buddhist saying "Shishi shinchu no mushi" that basically means it's the little things inside of us that will destroy us instead of the things outside.  With that understanding, the pairing of the Shishi and Botan (Peony) would mean overcoming our inner doubts and fears (but again, I have no scholarly reference to back up this interpretation).

• Like 3

I bid on this one Sunday night just gone (Jauce) it went for about $85, what do you think? Look familiar? I lost the auction by about $5...

Dale R (Spartancrest) alerted me to your example. Very surprised it had popped up just a day or so after!

I love the theme, I have one example.

SHISHI 1.jpg

SHISHI 2.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, the "Ko-Mino" menuki again. Very pretty.

Yeah, this is their third time on Aoi Arts this past decade. They keep coming back. Twice within the last year or so.

This time, another price bump- but it has bids. Caveat Emptor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..