Found another Tanto in the lot. N0 7

Guns Knives and Swords

Dear Michael.

Well the idea of just finding it is quite something.  This one is a fairly straight forward tanto, the blade is unokubi zukuri and in quite nice koshirae.   Nice jabari ito, just a dot of glue to secure that loose thread.   Chances are strong that it is Shinshinto.   

It looks like the habaki is stuck, if so we can suggest ways of easing it off.

Good one.

All the best.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information!  Yes it is stuck.  Any suggestions will be appreciated. Any idea of what it may be worth?   This was from a very large collection of stuff.  I did not know this one was in there since he was the one who actually picked it all up.  It took a total of 3 truckloads. He had kept this one thinking it was mall ninja stuff but when he mentioned it and sent me a few pictures I knew it was the real deal. 

• Like 1

I'd say lower given the condition of the blade, that it's unsigned and, as Geraint says, shinshinto. I'd be thinking in terms of the value of the koshirae as a pleasing display piece with the bonus of something interesting to hold it all together so maybe in the $800 to $1,000 range. That might just be my jaded view though.

WD40 will help to loosen the habaki.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the two truck loads look like - the force is clearly with you at the moment.

I agree it's shin Shinto and unsigned as it is it's value is relatively low.

The jabarra Ito is a nice and expensive touch.

The iron fittings are ok but not exceptional.

Looks Echizen to me with that shape jiri misty hamon and mu hada.

I think a later period Echizen tanto in mediocre mounts with quality tsuka.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..