Are other blade types subject to production limits of the sword and gun law?

I don't think there is a law that limits tosho to making 2 swords per month. I think the ministry of culture "suggests" it should take two weeks for a proper, licensed swordsmith to make a sword, and from that people have misinterpreted this as being a legal limit on sword production. From what I have read, there is no legal limit. 

From Paul Martin's website:

"Swordsmiths in Japan are regulated by the government. Smiths have to be licensed and are restricted to making two long swords or three shorts swords per month."

I have some books that mention the sword and gun (juh-to-ho) law faces much controversy for making it too hard for them to make a living and the extreme pricing keeps potential customers away.

The jūtōhō (short for jūhō-tōken-rui-shoji-tōtori-shimari-hō 銃砲刀剣類所持等取締法) only states in article 18-2 that a person who wants to produce swords has to apply for a permit in accordance with the bijutsu tōken-rui seisaku shōnin kisoku 美術刀剣類製作承認規則, the “art sword production approval rules”. In the application, the smith has to declare the type and number of swords to be manufactured, including the number of “shadow swords”.

I couldn’t find any limits mentioned, but maybe there are “guidelines” that are not on public record, as Steve suggested, and/or the smiths exercise anticipatory obedience ... 

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..