What is the name of the smith on my Naginata blade.

Caracal

Could it be a Naginata from the Kanabo School? Kanabo School was renowned for producing masterpiece pole arms, such as the Jumonji Yari. Many Kanabo smiths were rated as Wazamono (certified sharp by cutting test).
Kanabo School works vary from mass produced to Juyo Token masterpieces.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you might have found this web page:

https://onihonto.com/kanabo-masasada-naginata/

What it is saying is that the jumonji yari by Kunishige is a later attempt to copy Kanabo work rather than an example of that work itself. As Adam says, there isn't a Kunishige recorded as working among the Kanabo smiths (at least as far as a look at Hawley's reveals).

From the pictures posted on the other thread, my inclination would be towards a shinto blade rather than koto. This is based on the shortish length and what looks from the photographs like a widening of the blade near the tip and greater curvature (this might be the angle of the photo though). Here's an example of koto naginata sugata:

http://www.nihontocraft.com/Kanabo_Masasada_Naginata.htm

Shinto more like:

https://www.aoijapan.net/naginata-bushyu-shimohara-ju-hiroshige/

https://www.aoijapan.net/naginata-hizen-koku-junin-tosa-kami-fujiwara-tadayoshi/

The reason for this is that naginata had, for the most part, moved from being a battlefield weapon to use for household defence by the lady of the house and so a shorter lighter blade was favoured.

So I think you are looking among the shinto smiths signing with a two character signature.

Very similar to one I had recently which was Mino.

Very much designed for a lady to use.

Light and very similar shape.

These would be very difficult to reshape into naginata Naoshi as they are relatively short and the turn back is steep.

DSC_3529~2.JPG

DSC_3518~3.JPG

DSC_3521~2.JPG

I can see that the two Naginata are similar. My question is how were they developed over time and were they not made by person depending on length etc.
First for war until the end of the 16th century then for defense for women during the Edo period. They may have become smaller and lighter, especially for women's practice.

Thanks for all the answers, I will now study further about Naginatan's history. Difficult with the blacksmiths as there are apparently many with the name Kunishige. I have to stay around the Shinto period.

// Robert

The shape of these later naginata are not represented in that nice reference John. 

The turn back is wide and pronounced. 

I can see all of those making a nice sugata for naginata naoshi but not these much later ones. 

The one I had was in koshirae of approx 6ft 6 inch pole. With the blade on, this was another 18inch to 8 ft in total. 

The Nakago was longer than the blade as mine was ubu. 

Found a slightly better image

DSC_3916~2.JPG

Conclusion: I think my Naginata is a Naginata made for women during the latter part of the Edo period. It is small 15 inches, the weight is light and flexible.

Thanks to our discussion, I have received a lot of help. I still wonder how to get hold of the blacksmith Kunishige as only the name is on nakago with only two characters.

The smiths that the sword smith index shows are swordsmiths but there is nothing to say that they made Naginatas. Maybe I should be happy with the info I received ........

// Robert

Hi Steve,

Here are some pictures of mei. A little difficult to get a good photo as the signing is not so good.

Hope you can see something so I get an explanation of what a blacksmith it could be. It's close to what it looks like to be Kunishige?

//Robert

IMG_9519.thumb.jpeg.78d0fb20a0d31c453d358df92969724f.jpeg

IMG_9518.thumb.jpeg.02104c3aade4393a1f69cec234c7802b.jpegIMG_9517.thumb.jpeg.2e30df53b5c1847a320c43373470ffa1.jpeg

Can you post some measurements of it lenght & nakago length and full sized picture of blade & nakago.

I can write better reply next week when I am back home and have all my sources at home.

I do think calling Shintō period naginata in general as "womens weapons" might be just association that is not totally accurate.

Also while Knutsen has lots and lots of good information on his book, some like the above posted diagram on proportions are bit skewed. I do understand that he used examples of his own collection for it but in general it does not show early naginata like they should be featured.

• Like 4

Hi Jussi,

Naginata with mei (No 1. Kunishige)

Nagasa: 38 cm

Sori: 2 cm

Widest part of the blade 3 cm

IMG_9520.thumb.jpeg.a4b985df3faaed9ff95ed7f4ba86c1ae.jpegIMG_9521.thumb.jpeg.22a40cccad6a5fdbbb52cb7629d59a49.jpeg 

I also send with photos on another Naginata No. 2. Longer but mumei

Nagasa 43 cm

Sori 3 cm

Widest part of the blade 3 cm

IMG_9523.thumb.jpeg.e0b241ba0b6cbc4653d1b457673516b7.jpegIMG_9526.thumb.jpeg.6b278b93a86fe7b565ff88017be3969b.jpeg

//Robert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..