Difficult handwriting hakogaki help!

Curran

Hi dear NMB members,

I can read most of the standard stuff on a hakogaki, but I cannot read the handwriting on the attribution for this box.

Mumei tsuba- but what is the school or attribution?

The handwriting is beyond my eyesight to decipher.

Thank you for any help.

Curran

Hakogaki 002.jpg

Hakogaki 003.jpg

C'mon stalwart men and women of NMB!

Give me a little help here. Even with my reading glasses on, I cannot figure out what school or attribution he was trying to give.

Not Shoami, nor many of the other more common ones.

Anybody able to give me a clue?

無銘廣

Mumei Hiromune

Hiromune (according to Wakayama) was a metalworker in late Edo. Offered without confidence as Hiromune seems a minor smith for someone to be attributing a work to. If feels as though a mumei work ought to be attributed to someone less obscure. 

Other possibility, 廣乗 (Hironori), but this smith is even more obscure. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Yeah, it is supposedly a Torigoye hakogaki and indicated as mumei- so I don't think it is a specific name.

I was trying to figure the best way to cycle through a lot of school names. I will probably make a best effort with Super Markus Sesko's books tonight.

Torigoye-san much have been on his second bottle of sake when he wrote this one. Nice box with one of the more expensive raised pads for floating the tsuba, but the hakogaki is fluid to the point of being partially illegible to my western eyes.

I keep my tsuba in heavy padded sleeves and just store the boxes separate until time to sell one or put it on display.  I'm concerned I might have sold the tsuba without the box.

I've twice sold tsuba forgetting to mention they had NBTHK papers, so forgetting the matching hakogaki box would be typical of me.

I have another box with hakogaki for a Hazama tsuba I am pretty sure I sold to someone in Arizona or New Mexico last year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..