What tsuba do I have here?

Fake Babu Account

Strickly speeking the depiction is in  Japanese. = Hō-ō 鳳凰 or Hou-ou, Ho-o, Hoo-oo. the Asian phoenix, as you can see from the various spellings you have some choice!

The Hō-ō has nothing to do with the Egyptian or Greek mythological 'bird"

There is a link to find out more here https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ho-oo-phoenix.shtml

I would agree with both Jean and Bruno - it looks a cut above the average. A lot of late Mino were made much more crudely.

hokusai phoenix.jpg

15 hours ago, MauroP said:

Nice tsuba, but in my opinion not as good as average Mino works. More probably .Kyō-kanagushi

Mauro I've just googled Kyō-kanagushi and looked at about 20 NBTHK tsuba classified as Kyō-kanagushi.

This tsuba is better quality than any of those that I can see. They are mediocre.

Heavy gold,nice carving (no top drawer but not bottom) darkest shakudo good nanako.

I'm not convinced it's Kyō-kanagushi.

It actually looks a lot better when lightened. As it was, it reminded me of painted fake cast tsuba. I decided to run it through PS.
With a bit of Photoshop, it looks better. Average I would say. Nothing wonderful, just an ok, nice example.

e88c73.jpg

IMHO it is a Nagoyamono (thing from Nagoya) rather than a Mino work.  The good news is that it is better than the 'standard series' (as I like to call them) of Nagoyamono that keep turning up in UK and Japanese auctions.  I am not an expert, being more a book newby and often use the Christie's Compton Catalogue as my main source of info as it seems to be of a higher standard than info in the current major auction house of tsuba.  Compton II, lots 132-135 show some nice examples which sold for over £1K (I don't think yours is quite up to that standard and prices were higher then).  Using their catalogue notes.  Nagoyamono were based in Nagoya in the Edo period and used the style of the Goto workers in Mino and Kyoto. The plate metal for the tsuba was nigurome, a base metal of katashirome (tin and lead) and unrefined copper (yamagane).  This alloy is converted to shakudo when 3-7% gold is added, which was not done with the Nagoyamono.  Nigurome gets a chocolate brown patina and not the lovely blue black of shakudo.  The Nagoyamono that I have seen all look cast and then finished by hand (guilding and application of nanako), they also tend to have guilded nanako finished ryuhitsu, as yours.

hope this is of help, best regards John 

• Like 2

Sorry Jean, its still looks Nagoyamono to me.  Better than average, but not Mino Goto quality.  It also has two other Nagoyamono features.  You can see shadows of uneveness around the rim, sunken areas typical of cast tsuba (assuming not poor photo here).  The punch marks around the nakago ana appear to be typical Nagoyamono, namely 3 at the top, two pairs of two at the bottom of each sides and three along the bottom edge (ok there is only one here, but there is always some variation).  The 10 punch mark pattern always shouts 'Made in Nagoya' to me. 

Best regards, John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pure copper is extremely difficult to cast as well as being prone to surface cracking, porosity problems, and to the formation of internal cavities. 

I cannot see any indication myself that this is cast and I'm not sure but the OP could confirm this with a magnifying glass I guess. 

You could be right but I cannot see it myself. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..