Tsuba with Shibuichi Eagle and Silver Snow on Mt. Fuji

Tonkotsu

Here is what I believe to be a finely sculpted unsigned Tsuba. The front shows a eagle flying over Mount Fuji. The soft metal inlayed into the iron to form the eagle consists of shibuishi and gold. The snow on Mount Fuji is silver. The reverse shows a vegetable inlayed in Shakudo and shibuishi.

eagle.jpg

eagle-and-mountain.jpg

both-sides-tsuba.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dick, the bird is a hawk (taka) and the vegetable an eggplant (nasubi). The theme is known as hatsuyume (初夢), i.e. the first dream one has in the new year. It was considered to be particularly good luck to dream of Mount Fuji, a hawk and an eggplant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mauro,

Thanks for the info.  One of the things I love about tsuba is trying to decipher the design.  I've never seen this one before.  To dream of a hawk, mount Fuji and an egg plant in one dream.  Must have been one hell of a New Years party.  John

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..