Nihonto?? In military mounts

davidequis

I posted this in military swords. It was suggested that this forum might be able to provide more information.

It was brought back from PNG. My Grandpa fought on Kokoda, sanananda, gona, buna, & Boganville, then to Rabaul and repatriation of pows through to 47.

Provenance is solid but place of acquisition is obscure. My uncle (my grandpa’s son) doesn’t remember but thinks they were handed out to officers in Rabaul (my pa by that stage was battlefield promoted to lieutenant colonel)

my childhood recollection of my grandma’s story is that it was presented to him on surrender somewhere. 

The Rabaul version is probs more likely.

Expert feedback would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance 

total length 93.5cm

AF431101-C47B-4F45-88C6-9DF588B9BCD6.png

02DDFFF5-93E7-4656-AE31-303713FFCF93.png

F7F86806-7125-471E-98E8-7B5021D44D93.png

854DAF08-6EEF-4909-947E-FA21C28A8CF0.png

7B91922C-FE5F-40AB-A5E7-073ECE323F55.png

93D5EECB-16AA-4934-8748-1D1FDAC4EC31.png

95B9D696-0CD6-4A3F-91EE-A66286C17E72.png

EA2100C5-8F4E-4224-9D54-B1C81E4C98CB.png

A051A5D7-3BC5-46D2-A650-1891B6DA9ED9.png

E179AA41-D8A8-4F1D-873E-A21681288662.png

Dear David.

First of all, welcome to NMB!  So far what we can see is that this sword is mounted in Shingunto koshirae, I think I see a leather covered scabbard in one shot which is for field use.  It has  silver mon or badge on the kabutogane which is a nice touch.  From the tang, (nakago), it seems that this is an earlier sword, not made specifically for WWII.  This is less common but well known.  The blade has suffered and is not in good condition though so far none of the damage is serious as far as we can see from your photographs.  Whatever you do don't try and clean anything, just keep the blade lightly oiled and get into the habit of not touching the blade with bare hands as this is a cause of damage.  The sword may have been shortened during it's life and it has some minor flaws but you might want to do some more photographs of the blade to give people more to go on, specifically some shots of the tip, (kissaki), and of the whole blade without mounts.

Others will pile in with more info.  Both accounts of how the sword was acquired are possible and you will probably never be able to find out which one is correct but I don't think that really matters.  Your Grandfather fought a long war, this is a tangible reminder of what he did.  I am very glad that you are regarding it as a family heirloom and finding out about it.

All the best.

• Like 2

I think we are looking at quite an old blade here, and unsigned, possibly one of those made in the era of civil war in Japan, what we call a Kazu uchi mono, a "bundle sword".  It might have been signed and the signature lost when the blade was shortened from the tang end as is normal for Japanese blades.   This would make it 400 years old or more.

It would be nice to see the scabbard in full, and a good shot of the sword knot.

Lots of info' here on sword care, and others more knowledgeable will weigh in as they come online and see your post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..