Large mixed metal Kanemono neck wrestling Emma-O

Tonkotsu

Here is a large mixed metal Kanemono or clasp (4 ½”X 2”-110mm x 50mm) for a pouch (8 ½” X 3 ¾”-210mm X 95mm) showing the King of Hell, Emma-O, neck wrestling with what appears to be a man casually smoking his pipe while totally unperturbed. Emma-o is backed up by a two oni or devils who don't seem to be having much effect. The point of this piece is clearly meant to be humorous. The Kanemono is shakudo, gold and silver. In the British Museum there is a Kano school painting showing Asahina (朝夷) in Hell. Known for his great strength he vanquishes the demons who compete with him - one in neck wrestling. Then he is made the honored guest of Emma-O and all of the demons are made to serve him. Emma-ō, in Japanese Buddhist mythology, the overlord of hell (Jigoku), corresponding to the Indian deity Yama. He judges the souls of men, while his sister judges the souls of women. The sinner is sent to one of the 16 regions of fire or ice assigned him by Emma-ō for a fixed period of time until the next rebirth, unless saved by the prayers of the living, in which case he is reborn either on earth or in a heavenly paradise. Emma-ō is usually represented with a fierce expression, wearing a Chinese judge’s cap and holding his mace of office. This hand-colored photo from the 1870s shows two men battling it out over an old Japanese party game. The idea was to link yourselves neck-to-neck with a loop of old cloth or rope, and, while in a seated position, try to pull your opponent toward you, tumbling them into your lap or the floor.

front-of-pouch.jpg

back-of-pouch.jpg

Kanemono-colse-up.jpg

Kanemono-cut-out.jpg

neck-wrestling-reverse.jpg

pouch-open.jpg

plate.jpg

neck-wrestling-old-japan.jpg

• Like 1

George,

I don't see any hammer marks on the inside of the KANAMONO which would be a hint to UCHIDASHI work. The rather smooth surface is typical for casting. 
Excuse me for the 'single' item. I meant to express that I don't think it is a unique or individual piece (which does not prevent me from liking it).

Thanks for the clarification Jean - now I understand what you were saying.  This is definitely not cast.  When making these or menuki, the backs are often domed out with hard wood pegs or other methods that leave the back quite smooth like this.  The definitive sign that it is not cast is the two places where the edges of the once-flat plate pinch together as the piece was hammered into a dome shape (see the two circled areas in the photo below).  In this case, you can see the interface between the two edges and even a reopening of the gap towards the end.  You will often see this effect on menuki where they come to a long, tapered point.

neck-wrestling-reverse.jpg

• Like 1

Jean, with all due respect, people other than Ford know some things.  Trust me, this is not cast.  I've done small casting work.  But if you really have to hear it from Ford, look up a couple of his videos on Youtube about Uchidashi and you'll see why the backs are smooth.

• Like 1

Definitely uchidashi, with perhaps an exception for the sake jug and what appears to be a lotus leaf on the far right side. The workmanship on this piece is very fine so maybe a master could form these, but it sure would be easier to solder them in place. The difficulty is best seen from the back.

• Like 1

Darrel,

The sake jug and the bowl are riveted in place. I totally agree that it would be much easier to solder everything in place.  I have an even better Edo tobacco pouch in the same style that is signed. I will post it soon.

Thanks,

Dick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..