Any information on this tsuba

Dan tsuba

Hello all,

So I got this tsuba, it is not in very good shape but I find that it is very interesting.  If anyone has any information on it I would greatly appreciate it.  It is a very large tsuba at 89 cm x 88 cm and 180 grams.  It has a crossed hawk feather kamon (Asano clan ?) that is continued on the reverse side.  It also appears to be hammered in the Tsuchime-Ji style.

Thanks you all so much for your assistance,

Dan

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

• Like 1

The Mon looks like the crossed feathers of the Asano clan - very famous for the story of the 47 Ronin [ not the movie with Keanu Reeves, that was mostly Hollywood crap]

The guard looks to be from the period, but as the Ronin incident is so famous I have no doubt many 'authentic' guards were made. I must say I like the robust look of your guard.

Link to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_rōnin

I visited the graves of the Ronin back in 2014 and found the place very moving - even the pool where they washed the head -The entry fee was a novelty, we don't pay to enter cemeteries very often!

maruni_chigai_takano_ha.jpg?w=220&h=221

• Like 1

If you care enough, get a horsehair brush (non synthetic) and give this a good brushing now and then.

Over time (years?), the appearance will dramatically improve. The lead plug will re-darken.

This works better on some irons and patina with others. The iron of yours and you being in Arizona make this one that I believe will be a very responsive candidate.

It will need air flow, but not direct sunlight. This is to say, if you want to improve the appearance, don't throw it in a drawer or store it in a box in its current condition.

I think you would be surprised by before / after pictures with a little non artificial TLC over 2 years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

The Mon looks like the crossed feathers of the Asano clan - very famous for the story of the 47 Ronin [ not the movie with Keanu Reeves, that was mostly Hollywood crap]

The guard looks to be from the period, but as the Ronin incident is so famous I have no doubt many 'authentic' guards were made. I must say I like the robust look of your guard.

Link to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_rōnin

I visited the graves of the Ronin back in 2014 and found the place very moving - even the pool where they washed the head -The entry fee was a novelty, we don't pay to enter cemeteries very often!

maruni_chigai_takano_ha.jpg?w=220&h=221

I messed up again.  I re-posted the reply from Spartancrest !  How did that happen !  Anyway Spartancrest and Curran, thank you so much for your replies. To Spartancrest, so the mon may actualy be that of the 47 ronin story.  And you visited the graves. That is cool !!  And to Curran, thanks for the instructions on how to improve the tsuba appearance.  I guess that means that this tsuba could be the "real thing" !

Much appreciated,

and with respect,

Dan

Edited by Dan tsuba
mistake on name
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..