Military Sword What do I have No 5

The late war "contingency specification" pattern, officially approved and regulated but they can be very varied in materials used and quality of craftsmanship. The mounts are supposed to be all iron/steel but copper alloy mounts, like the tsuba on yours appear quite frequently. Generally metal scabbards are associated with factory made blades, and lacquered wood with traditional nihonto blades.

Use Rinji Seishiki as your search term.

• Like 2

I'm surprised at the lack of stamps.  Michael - are there any small stamps on the back edge of the nakago (nakago mune)?  Your blade is made in March of 1944 and the majority (in my experience) of the '44 blades were stamped.  The blade is not nihonto, so it should have been stamped.  It could simply be human error.  Inspectors had hundreds of blades to look over and stamp.  A guy is bound to miss some.

The tassel is likely a post-war add-on.  Looks like a curtain cord or something to that effect.

• Like 2

I have looked it over very closely more then once and I have not seen any kind of stamping.  What kind of value would you place on this sword.  While I am at this point planning on keeping the swords I have posted I am also curious to see how I am going to make out money wise on the total collection.  I always go by the motto Keep the best and sell the rest.  This seems to be a decent sword of it's type and worth adding to my collection.  I have a truckload or more of other stuff to sell off to hopefully recoup my investment.  I find all the responses to the swords very interesting and informative.  Thanks for your time.  The three remaining swords are a bit more of a mystery to me and may be older blades set in WWII furniture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..