this is real katana or tachi?

samusamu

Difficult to say for sure, Bruce.

I think the perspective makes the sori look deeper than it actually is and thus, difficult to see whether it is koshi or saki sori. The blade is suriage and the mekugi ana uneven, so Koto, of course. My gut feeling says early/mid Muromachi, but I wouldn’t bet my head on it, especially since we seem to have a very short kissaki. Dimensions and a flat, un skewed  angle Would probably help more, but unfortunately, I think it can’t be salvaged at all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 16k said:

Looks pretty real to me, but I think it is too far gone. It’s dead imho. A polish can’t save that much pitting.

hay all thank you for comment

i really appreciate for that information

really help me identification this sword.

best

marsel

• Like 1

As for the condition of this sword i would recommend that book.

Sometimes you think it must be dead and gone for sure and then under all the rust and mud you find a hidden gem. On the other side many swords that look healthy are dead after few hours in the hand of a polisher where he find hidden cracks.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, vajo said:

As for the condition of this sword i would recommend that book.

Sometimes you think it must be dead and gone for sure and then under all the rust and mud you find a hidden gem. On the other side many swords that look healthy are dead after few hours in the hand of a polisher where he find hidden cracks.

halo mr chris

thank you very much. you really revive this sword

i will read that book :)

best 

marsel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..