What NOT to do.... just a bit of fun

Brian

Brian don't worry about the same. If it is celluloid that isn't bad. I like that celluloid same very much! Don't get on the wrong side to say its "plastic" 😄 I don't think it was a cheap choose to order with celluloid. 

• Like 2

Nice find Brian, and congrats! :clap:

Not surprising about the signature. A guy signing for a whole bunch of others see,s to have been frequent for Showato during wartime. What you have here is probably his real signature on a genuine Gendaito. Once again, congrats for having a good eye! :)

• Like 1

Brian, looks like you have found an Amachi gendaito.

There were 3 brothers?:

eldest? Masatsune

middle? Kanenaga

youngest? or son? Yoshimasa.

All made Seki showato and these are seen with nakirishi mei signatures, but I seem to remember reading that all were trained gendaitosho and also made gendaito, or put it this way...I definitely remember seeing each smith's swords with nakirishimei by Seki gunto cutter but ALSO self cut high quality mei...like yours.

I had one by in the 1980s (when Steven was a boy) by Kanenaga so did some research (not much).

Here is a page of that research with the 3 mei. At least it is a start...I think you will find heaps of info/pics/mei etc with on-line search etc.

Oh, edit to add...two of the Amachi swords I had in hand had identical mounts to yours...probably had an "in house" mounter.

amachi bros.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Very nice Brian!

You did a nice job of cleaning....Seems like you removed every bit of "gunk" on it....was it just an alcohol rub-down with paper/cloth, then a drying off with paper/cloth, then a couple of uchikos and wipe-offs with paper/cloth?

Turned out very nice.

Regards,

"Just for fun" have you tried a magnet on the tosugu? I got a gunto koshira recently, original and from Japan, and the fuchi, kabutogane and menuk of standard patterni are plated iron! Late war, substitution of material, and I wonder how common this would be.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..