What NOT to do.... just a bit of fun

Brian

Never buy from eBay without decent pics and full info, and knowing the seller. Or ANY auction without inspecting the goods. Don't gamble with poor pics and hope for a good outcome.
Sooo.......I did the complete opposite. I ignored the exact advice we give people and I'll probably pay dearly for it.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Got a message from an associate that there was a Japanese sword coming up on auction about 500km away. You can imagine that any Japanese items hardly ever come up for sale in SA. So I took a look at the online auction, and emailed them for better pics of the blade, any damage, and both sides of the tang. With only 2 days to go...I didn't even get a reply.
Twice.
So with poor pics and only a vague overall shot showing a little damage in the monuchi area...I still went against all advice and while sitting here at work, I managed to win it for a surprising price of of about $860. I have NO idea how I will pay for it...but that is a challenge for tomorrow :laughing:

Anyways, knowing all the pitfalls, and the info above...I thought I'd post the same pics I had, and play a bit of a game to ask you guys who would have taken a chance and what you think the outcome will be. I have NO idea until it gets here...maybe a week? So we will all see how much of a fool I was, and who was closest. Things that attracted me like a siren song are the interesting looking hamon and the slightly better habaki.
Showato or Gendaito? Mumei or signed? What smith? Wild guesses are fine.
Also...the military guys...can you tell me what tassel that is?

Here you go. Again, do not try this at home...I am silly and likely attempting retail therapy for my back issues ;-)
Click on the pics a few times. They willopen up, then open up larger to your browser's capacity, and then open full size.

The entire description was:
A good quality, Japanese Army Officer's SWORD in leather covered scabbard, recovered from VJ (Victory of Japan) day in 1945, overall length is 97cm.

a68ea.jpg

65a2.jpg

09f60.jpg

7ff93.jpg

• Like 1

Well I think you have got away with it this time. I don't know what you are hoping it will be but assuming it is a showa-to  in that condition it does not seem an outrageous amount to pay.

On the plus side for it being something better the habaki does as you say look a step above the norm. I am a little concerned by the apparently bright start of the nakago just showing between habaki and tsuba. Shape looks pretty standard Showa. As a guess I would say Gendai-to in reasonably good condition and decent koshirae.

Well done (I think)

Wild guesses are acceptable. 🙂
My hopes....Gendaito, with nice choji or saka-choji hamon. Maybe Nagamitsu or Emura etc. I don't think it's older than WW2.
Showato is acceptable, but I would then flip it for my money back locally.
I suspect that gap is because there is no mekugi. I hope. Will make sure of the necessary before it is shipped, maybe get someone to collect in person.
One guess so far..thanks Paul

The gap could be from missing seppa.  Don't see any on the blade-side of the tsuba, but they could be hidden by the angle of the photo.

The tassel is quite faded.  At first glance it's the all-brown.  Reference books like Fuller/Dawson call this a "late-war army tassel", but new info from Nick Komiya points to the Gunzuko.  They were authorized to carry army regulation gunto, but were to use the all-brown tassel.  It could be a heavily faded Company grade tassel.  When you get it, look for hidden blue in the weave. 

Oh, and I'm curious to see if that "sarute" is a period shoestring or a post-war fix.

• Like 1

I think you did all right.

I would bet on Showato or the guy didn’t know what he had because the price is right. Now, the only thing that gives me pause: the same. Looks a bit too clean and white for my taste. Add this to the gap, we may conclude (and be wrong! :) ) that the tsuka might not be original to the blade or a more recent repair. Keep us posted.

The peg is not all the way in so the tsuka has been off and not put all the way back on hence the gap. Same looks late war plastic. Hamon goes from flat to kochoji

Emura or Nagamitsu is good chance the hamon does drop very close to ha so im ruling out mass showato. Cant wait ...lol

• Like 1

Yes, celluloid same was my first thought too, but all those I’ve seen so far have become yellowish. This one looks almost new.

EDIT: and taking a closer look, I’ll bet water quenched and real same

Could be celluloid same (its not a sign of cheap swords, celluloid is water resistant). First look on the blade i think it is not a showa-to. Brown tassel is company grade from IJN but later in war you find it also on IJA swords. The seppa behind the habaki is missing. The leather seppa looks intact. All over a nice buy for the price. I think you made a good deal.

image.png.49f5f071ba79e2c19b456a09be1da2c2.png

image.thumb.png.44a55212d8845bdf0d915c15a6113115.png

The leather battle wrap is possibly a good sign - maybe covering a traditional wood lacquered saya.  The same gives me pause as well, as it looks so clean and white.  Nothing to add to all of the astute comments you have received so far.  I think that you did just fine, even if it is machine made.  

It looks like a better than average habaki and the hamon looks more complicated that most showato. For $860 it's a good gamble. My guess is that it's an older, probably mumei blade, either later shinto or shinshinto. If it turns out to be signed, then it could be a gendai. In any case, the tassel is worth $100 so I don't think you will loose. But, it sure would have been nice to get more good pictures. 

• Like 1

I think real same, by the look and the way you see the nodules flake by the mekugi.  I love the hamon and the kissaki, definitely forged, steel color feels older than gendaito so I echo  Ed’s assessment, no matter I think your absolutely fine at that price, can’t wait to see pictures!

Doug

Yes, I think it looks good....well spotted!  Nice shape overall. Blade about 62-64 cm? nice hamon. Can't say if shin-shinto or gendaito, but I'd definitely take a chance on it too Brian. Just a a light clean with alcohol and some oil and I think you will smile. When you find the two missing O-seppa and maybe that it is a Kokuho, I think you will be grinning for a month!

Good luck.

Brian, I think you did real good and I like the sword. I hope it turns out to be more than you expected. I purchased a run of the mill, so-so condition WW2 sword for just a little less than this just to have around so that I could put it in the hands of anyone that seemed interested in Nihonto so that they could get the feel and hopefully start a passion for the blades and become more interested. So I use mine as a learning, starting tool and am glad that I purchased it. A small amount of money well spent ( at least for me ) Good Luck

MikeR

• Like 1

OK, I'll play.

The mounts are typical field mounts for WW2, somewhat patinated, possibly kept out of the light and slightly damp. The Ito is good, but probably tender, I would like a better look at the end knots.

It has been taken apart and not reassembled properly. I am looking forward to better pic's of the tsuba and leather tab.

The saya cover is one of the "removable" type so it might be a trad' saya underneath, but the kurikata removed.

Going by the habaki, the blade was originally in Buke Zukuri mounts, so the blade could be old... or one of those early Showa swords that could be either traditional or Showato.

By UK prices you go it at a decent price..... after doing the $-£, conversion, you got it cheap!

Well...don't want to jinx it either. So let's see what the (very possible) pitfalls could be too. They outnumber the good stuff, so this really is an exercise in what not to do.
Possible issues:

• Mumei average blade
  • Showato (I feel unlikely with that hamon, but possible)
  • Nakago either hacked off with a saw, or rust all removed/cleaned :shock:
  • Ware/cracks/hagire etc
  • Kazu-uchimono
  • Rust/pitting in spots
  • Fittings/saya not matching to rest of sword
  • etc etc

I'll know either way early next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Soooo....
Parcel has arrived here at work. I am going to be very disciplined and not open it until I get home, so the final verdict in about 8 hours.
Hold thumbs all, and make it magically transition from a Showato into a Yasukuni-to    :rotfl:

• Like 5

On 9/30/2020 at 9:50 AM, Brian said:

Possible issues:

• Mumei average blade
  • Showato (I feel unlikely with that hamon, but possible)
  • Nakago either hacked off with a saw, or rust all removed/cleaned :shock:
  • Ware/cracks/hagire etc
  • Kazu-uchimono
  • Rust/pitting in spots
  • Fittings/saya not matching to rest of sword
  • etc etc

Well... remember the old saying... "a pessimist is never disappointed" :)

33 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

Well... remember the old saying... "a pessimist is never disappointed" :)

Funny you should say that. My own personal philosophy has always been "Be a pessimist. That way, things can only get better!"

Here we go. I waited until after dinner to open it.

I am very pleased. It is a lovely sword in very good condition. Koshirae is tight and seems to have all the seppa etc, unlike what the pics showed. In fact, it is so tight on the tsuka that I had to use the wooden block to gently hammer it off. Habaki was also glued with oil. I don't think this has been apart much since the war.
It's on its first polish. Ububa/ubuha.
I did a bit of Googling, and seems it is signed Amachi Masatsune. Wartime smith. Many I see online are Showato,  but this one appears to be a stunning Gendaito. Lovely hamon with plenty of tobiyaki and I can see some hada in the right light. Nagasa only about 623mm....but it has a LONG nakago. 245mm. Odd.
The hamon is actually really stunning. Complete, with great boshi. Kissaki doesn't have the damage it appears to have in one pic. No flaws, some light stable rust stains. Nothing major.
Needs a good clean and some uchiko. Will leave that for tomorrow. Tassel is nice condition as is the saya and combat cover. Habaki special order and original? Saya wood. But I'm not going to try take off the combat cover. Seen too many of those snaps tear out Will leave that alone.
All in all, a very nice Gendaito. Not a masterpiece, but a good sword that I am very, very happy with. Thanks for taking this journey with me guys. Please can you just check my translation and if anyone has anymore info than what Markus has...

MASATSUNE (正恒), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Masatsune” (正恒), real name Amachi Reiichirō (天地鈴市郎, first name also reads Suzuichirō), born. September 23rd 1894, he worked as guntō smith and died May 12th 1949, Fourth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw that and a few others. Cute covered up Seki stamp ;-)
I am always amazed how these wartime smiths' signatures can vary so wildly. There is no comparison with my mei and some of the others. I guess the "kore saku" also indicates forged.
Did they have people signing for them for arsenal swords and maybe sign themselves for Gendaito?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..