Kabuto opinions

Alex A

Hello,

Ive had permission to list this Kabuto in the Katchu section for discussion as i have been offered it as part payment on the sale of one of my swords.

To be honest, i dont know much about them. Its described as late Edo with more recent maedate and chord 

As pointed out, an unusual shape.

Thanks for any help.

zunari.jpeg

zunari2.jpeg

zunari3.jpeg

zunari4.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

it is an “zunari no kabuto” (head shaped helmet) as you already might know. This type of helmet were made over an very long time frame in slightly different shapes and therefore usually hard to date. 
What exactly you want to know?

• Thanks 1

Looks authentic to me. The lacquer missing from the Mabisashi is a small minus, but it confirms that it is made of iron. The unusual shape of this zunari, from those photos at least suggests a zeppeki, or rear cliff, the shape of some people's heads in Japan! The prow shinogi is unusual for a zunari, unless that is a trick of the light. You are lucky to have 1. a tsunomoto in front for the Maedate, 2. both fukikaeshi and 3. a complete shikoro,  plus 4. a Shinobi-no-o cord and 5. an ukebari (failry recent?) inside. Often one or more of these is missing and a job to replace.

Usually zunari were not signed, but if the ukebari is untorn it will be difficult to check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the replies, but

Enough of my time and other folks time has been wasted over this helmet.🙄

Not heard from the guy so dont know WTH is going on, but can only guess.

Sure we have all got better things to do, i know i have.

6 hours ago, Iekatsu said:

Luc,

What makes you think that the lower section of the Mabezashi was added later?

The shape does me thinking on a kozunari, with an extra mabezashi added during the edo period.   This happened sometimes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..