Officers Sword What do I have No 3

This is one of the military swords in the collection of stuff I bought recently.  Please excuse my poor pictures of the blade.  It is very hard for me to get around glare and reflections with my current setup. It works great for most things but not shiny blades.  The blade is 34 and 3/4 inches tin total length and 27 inches are exposed when the handle is in place.  The hamon is quite active and even from end to end and side to side.  It has no rust or dings.  The leather tag was affixed to it along with the tassel.  Three of the swords had similar tags and they may have come out of a museum.  I am not much help on this so here are the pictures.

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6663.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6563.JPG

36 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Type 94

John, you're the Type 94 expert - are you basing that on the thickness of the tsuba?  Just curious.  I don't see any tell-tale rubbing signs of the second haikan (ashi), but that may just mean the owner removed it immediately.

Michael,

From the first 2 pics, I can see the remnants of a cloth sarute.  You must have removed it already for the subsequent photos?  My dad's Mantetsu came with the same thing, which is how I knew to look for a cloth one to replace it with.  Very pristine gunto.  I agree with John, that the officer paid some extra Yen for this.  The sakura chuso button (release button) is not very common, and is clearly custom addition.

Hopefully someone will translate soon.  If not, be sure to drop a pic of the mei over at the Translation Assistance thread.

I also haven't seen that family mon before.  I'm posting it on the Mon thread, if you don't mind!

• Like 1

Can't read the first two? kanji, but the last 5 look like    .... ju Minamoto Yoshi haru Saku.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

edit to add: It is signed TOTO JU MINAMOTO YOSHIHARU SAKU. His family name is NIIHO Motoharu (might be Motohira?) and was born in Niigata prefecture. Made gendaito and worked in Tokyo (hence the name TOTO - Tokyo). Also worked after the war. Saw a pic of his sig, on worthpoint...same man.

• Thanks 1

Morning Michael,

Your pictures don't show a mekugi (the bamboo pin that locks the blade in the handle).  If the pin is missing be sure to whittle a new one ASAP.  Without the mekugi the blade can fall out of the handle and shatter its point, either in the scabbard bottom or on the floor.  You can use a chopstick for this.

Grey

• Like 1

If you plan to replace the sarute and remount the tassel, you an sometimes find replacement cloth sarute for sale.  Otherwise, it would be completely acceptable to replace it with a metal one.  I have no doubt that the original owner wouldn't have hesitated to do so, if it were broken during the war.

Either way, you will find a tiny metal wedge inside the sarute barrel (which simply unscrews.  I use a cloth to cover the ends of the barrel and grip them with pliers to gently unscrew the halves).  I would keep that tiny wedge in a safe place as it would be very easy to lose, and you might find someone looking for one in the future.

20180407_152257.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..