Opinions on blade please-gimei but ...?

Hi Folks, the mei is in translation section so please refer there. Im sure its gimei but I am happy- buy the blade not the name!

Nagasa is 71.5mm

Motohaba is 35mm

Yasurime is Kiri

Hada is ko- itame- I think?

Boshi is ko- maru

Personally I think it is shin- shinto but opinions please?

Also would really like some iduea on hamon? Amazingly its totally controlled- 6 crab claw? 3 " hammer head shark" ?etc - also each side is the same - I find that unusual as all my other blades vary from omote to ura? - anyone seen that aswell? 

Really looking forward to your opinions but please remember not interested on mei- gimei!

Many thanks for looking,

Regards 

20200927_133605.jpg

20200927_134124.jpg

20200927_133547.jpg

20200927_133752.jpg

20200927_133745.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I'm no real expert and Matt is probably the one that’s right, but here’s what I would go for:

- you got the crab claws right.

- thE other side I would personally describe as hako (box shaped) midare (as they vary in size) with some strong Mino influence.

For the Hada, it’s hard to be sure from your pictures as the close ups are a bit blurry, but it looks like a tightly packed itame, perhaps even nashiji (but I wouldn’t swear on that one).

Better experts will probably nail it better.

EDIT: After checking, Koshi no hiraita looks like the best description. What makes you think it is Gimei? A special order sword could indeed have had a shape that matches the customer's demand and not the flavor of the time. In that case, Genroku could indeed be possible.

• Like 1

Hi JP,

Just that the nakago seems in such good condition for 320 years old? The mei also seems so fresh- could be possible that the family treasured and protected this blade but thats a big stretch really! Also no Minamoto in signature- Hawleys or Fujishiro dont show the format of mei as on this blade. But as I have said I purchased the blade not the mei- the polish is really pleasing and the forging appears flawless - just seems to young! If we ever get a shinsa in Australia I'll put it up regardless or take it to San Francisco just to confirm my suspicions but regardless I'm very happy with the workmanship.

Matt, thank you for that - now I'll  try and track down the meaning of this type of hamon but late edo fits.

Thank you both,

Mike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..